Acquired Rolls razor help

CjH

Hi everybody.

So I acquired this off an old friend of mine... He said it was in mint condition.
I tend to disagree... :LOL:

For you peeps who have one and use it and know much more than I do about them.
Is this worth keeping as an ornament or does it have any potential to be usable.

IMG_20220218_163834.jpgIMG_20220218_163855.jpgIMG_20220218_163908.jpgIMG_20220218_163913.jpgIMG_20220218_164345.jpg
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The strop has a hole in it right in the middle of where the blade will glide. I'd say nope to that plate. The hone might come good lapped with some gritpaper. Alas, the blade looks (small picture, mind) to have some tarnish, possibly rust all the way to the blade edge. I'd be wary.

Definitely worth keeping as an ornament and for letting other folks clatter it about ...

The strop has a hole in it right in the middle of where the blade will glide. I'd say nope to that plate. The hone might come good lapped with some gritpaper. Alas, the blade looks (small picture, mind) to have some tarnish, possibly rust all the way to the blade edge. I'd be wary.

Definitely worth keeping as an ornament and for letting other folks clatter it about ...
Any advice on what I can use to replace the strop?
And what is gritpaper?

I said gritpaper as opposed to sandpaper so you're thinking less about really abrasive stuff you'd rip a millimeter per stroke off the top of a sticky door and more like a more accurate grit to level a stone. 1000 grit. Rather than lapping the paper over the stone you could probably run the stone over the paper on a flat surface. You can remove the strop and stone from the plates.

To replace the strop, it would probably be easier and cheaper to simply buy another Rolls kit than try to retrofit replacement leather. If you were desperate to get this kit into service, you can simply place the open box over any external strop. Just don't let the external strop buckle. Strops can be anything really, from leather to a piece of canvas (old jeans) or evn something like a newspaper!

New old stock strops do come up on Ebay, price is about £10, hones are a little more difficult, I would suggest that you have a look at this guide to the Rolls (I've put a few posts on there) which goes into detail of how to recondtion all parts of the Rolls to acheive a working system:

Again, blades do come up on Ebay but invariably, even the 'New Old Stock' need the bevel re-setting (I do mine on lapping film on a glass plate) once the bevel is set it can be maintained on the Rolls hone and strop, remember, the Rolls system was designed to maintain the blade, not reset it, indeed, the factory offered a resetting service for blades (price 2/6d in about 1959), they also advised having a spare blade and rotating them on a monthly basis to rest the blades.

The Rolls was a very expensive, well engineered shaving system in its day, the basic 'Imperial' razor cost 49/9d in 1952 - that's over £61 in todays money and a properly restored example is a joy to use!

I use a Rolls razor virtually for every shave and once you get the technique and a good razor which works as the factory intended, they give excellent results with little effort, but it's all in the initial prep, the strop, hone and blade need to be in A1 condition,

Steve

The best part of what you've got is the handle. Probably more than half of the Rolls sold online don't have a handle, or it is rusted. Whoever finds the old box in a closet doesn't realize what the handle is, I guess.

If you are patient and careful, you might find a near mint condition one on eBay at a reasonable price, perhaps even with an extra new blade. One more expensive version has an aluminum case, which is lighter, in case you want to take it with you on your next flight.

There are several informative, long videos on Youtube about sharpening/upgrading Rolls outfits. Most suggest ditching the original hone and strop.

I quickly gave up on mine. Even though it was very clean, it wasn't sharp enough, even with some stropping. I believe steve_keyte, and it seemed it could be very nice if re-sharpened correctly. (When I tried it, it felt really good on my skin, and fairly easy to use.) This is a largely lost art, ever since around 1903, when the double edge razor was introduced. Perhaps steve could provide some details on the bevel angle, and time involved.

When you figure for inflation, and that blades were sold in packs of 5 or 10, razor blades used to be much more expensive, long ago some were the equivalent of $2 or $3 a blade.

Sharpening my Rolls is on my bucket list. But not at the top, given that I've got some really sweet blades and razors. And a year's supply of blades cost less than $10, these days. But I think using a Rolls would be fun!

However, if civilization were to collapse (thanks to some crazy old dude who shall remain nameless) and you couldn't buy any new razor blades, once the radiation burns healed, you would still be clean shaven, thanks to your eternal Rolls!

Last edited:
Perhaps steve could provide some details on the bevel angle, and time involved.
What works for me, resetting the blade is to remove the guard from the blade, tape the spine of the blade with one layer of tape and hone it on a progression of lapping film, working it on the 15 micron finishing film until the edge is clean and free from micro chips, corrosion and other defects, then work through a progression of 12, 9, 5, 3 and 1 micron films on a glass plate. One other issue is uneven spine wear on the blade, which seems to be general wear and tear from using the Rolls system, minor wear isn't too worrying, but excessive wear is a problem.

The next thing to consider is the hone in the lid, be careful removing it, they are very brittle and fragile, some come out easy, others are stuck fast, I dress the hone flat on well lubricated (with water) wet & dry paper, about 2500 grit, don't get carried away, the hone is surprisingly soft and you can quickly reduce it's thickness, destroying the thickness set-up the Rolls system needs to maintain correct bevels.

The leather strops suffer cuts and gouges, if not too bad the strop might be reusable, but anything other than superficial damage means the stop is a write off, clean the strop with saddle soap to remove years of grime and old dressing. On the reverse of the strop is a layer of padding, sometimes full length, sometimes only covering the centre section, if the pad is in good condition, all good, if it's turned brittle and hard, it needs to be replaced, I've used felt of a similar thickness (1.5 / 2mm).
While drying the strop after cleaning it, it's important to keep it flat, I wash the strop, dry in on a towel, place between two layers of kitchen towel and put several heavy books on top of it, when dry, you should have a flat strop, treat it with oil to restore it's supple nature (I use 'Derma V10 Rescue Oil', used to treat scars and stretch marks!!!) put the strop back in the lid and do a 'Sharpy' test with the blade (mark the edge of the blade with a black marker and gently work it, using the Rolls mechanism, on the strop) if you're lucky, you'll see the marker pen removed across the width of the blade and from the whole width of the bevel, proving the bevel on the blade is OK and that the strop is flat and the surface of the strop is at the correct height for the Rolls system to maintain the edge.
Similarly, do a 'Sharpy' test on the hone, again, the marker, across the width and breadth of the bevel should be cleaned off.

Don't slap the blade on the hone or strop, you'll damage the cutting edge - once you get used to the mechanism you can strop (and hone when necessary) quite quickly, but remember, the Rolls system is geared to maintaining the blade, not to re-setting a blunt or damaged blade!
Steve

This set up worked for me,
20210918_093347.jpg
I am going to tweak the "stropping handle" I made by stripping down a broken set and using the blade holder. I Reset bevel on the 1K Naniwa and a full progression through 3K, 5K & 8K finishing on the 12k. Basically same technique as honing a straight.
20210918_093408.jpg20210918_093353.jpg

This set up worked for me,
I think there are several ways of achieving the same end - my thoughts are that the over-riding aim is to match the blade bevel to that of the Rolls system, hence taking care to maintain the thickness of the strop and hone, if the thickness of these is off, then you're not going to be able to maintain the edge of your newly re-set blade, also, the strop needs to be supple and flat, to contact the full width of the blade - I've had strops which at first glance seem OK, but the Sharpy test shows that contact is on the centre, or the two extreme edges, of the blade, hence ensuring that a cleaned strop is dried flat

Steve

Back
Top Bottom