A year in books 2020

A couple of us have been discussing a thread on the above. It would be really interesting to see all contributions; as I'd argue that this year has, at some time, prompted us to reach for the shelves and/or make some purchases.

There may be duplication; as some of the following appeared in here earlier:

Anyhoo...as a starter...

Montserrat, D. (2000)
Akhenaten: History, Fantasy and Ancient Egypt.

Not a dusty archaeological one this, but rather a cultural exploration of how the pharaoh has been represented and appropriated through art, literature and other forms of media consumption.

Paver, M. (2010)
Dark Matter: A Ghost Story

It wouldn't be a collection with a macabre offering. Genuinely disturbing and atmospheric. This is a tale set in the Arctic during the explorations of 1947. Where something walks...

Penney, D. and Statsny, P. (2009)
The Lives They Left Behind

A moving account of a former mental institution in New York State; where suitcases and belongings were found in an attic. The cases and contents belonged to former patients. The authors piece together vignettes of life; as well as offering an indictment of how mentall illness was ‘treated'.

Hartnell, J. (2019)
Medieval Bodies

I have Iain @Digimonkey to thank for this. An outstanding book, gloriously illustrated with an exploration of how bodies, pathologies and ‘humours' were understood by the medieval mind. As Iain argued, there is always room for a Blemmyae...

Wakefield, H.R. (1935)
A Ghostly Company

My second supernatural offering (it is Yuletide, after all). Again, very creepy; almost in the style of M.R. James. This is a collection of tales and my first edition has been around a bit; including a merchant marine vessel during 1935 (the vessel was torpedoed in 1942, with substantial loss of life).

35479514-0CAD-4A1D-B0FC-8161A77C9FFB.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom