A new UK pen maker

In many ways similar to the world of shaving interests and its "rabbit holes", those of us interested in buying and using fountain pens keep a close eye on new developments, new pens and especially new entrants to the field.

A year or two ago, a handwriting enthusiast rekindled his interest in the subject, and especially in flex pens. This, in short, decided him to design and manufacture his own range of modern flex nib fountain pens; the name being "The Good Blue".

As with some shaving items, the early releases of the Good Blue pens was a countdown, "finger on trigger" rush to be able to nab one before they sold out. This has now changed, and as well as being able to buy direct from The Good Blue website, these pens are now stocked by Cult Pens and Pure Pens.

The pens have a consistent shape and design, but have been released in various materials and metals. They are available with a range of the Good Blue nibs, in various forms, and with two of their own designed and manufactured feeds. The quality and finish of all parts is superb.

If only for interest, The Good Blue website is well-worth a look, as the creator tells a little of how he came to produce these pens, and there are some other interesting snippets to be found there.

I'm a big fan of flex pens and writing with them (copperplate, Spencerian and other cursive scripts) and, as well as the vintage flex pens I have, I've spent some time (and a bit of money) trying to find what I think to be the best of the "affordable" modern flex pens. Price-wise, The Good Blue pens fall between the Noodlers and Fountain Pen Revolution flex pens (based mainly on Indian pen models) and the other very high end, that being the mainly Italian pens with their in-house manufactured 14k gold nibs (Scribo, Leonardo etc.).

I have two Good Blue pens with different types of flex nib, and both flex write with great line variation, smoothly and wetly. They'll also write just as well "normally" i.e. with even pressure and no flex, but the ethos behind them is "flex". As well as being a UK designed and manufactured product, and despite using their own make feeds and nibs, the pens have a standard JoWo feed collar/section thread form. This means that the Good Blue nib units can be unscrewed and a standard #6 JoWo nib/unit put in (although I can't think why anyone would want to do that!).

I should add that, other than being a purchaser and user of Good Blue pens, I have no interest beyond "banging the drum" for a new and first-rate line of pens.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

There may be some interest in knowing the purpose of a flex, in other words 'what will it do Mister?'

The attached pic shows the line variation that can be achieved with a flex nib

View attachment 93094
"A picture is worth a thousand words"; unless, perhaps, when the words ARE the picture, or vice-versa. Thanks for a first-rate example.

Back in the day when school pupils were taught how to write and you either used a flexible pen nib , such as that of the above, or a pencil, there was a required standard of style as to how a letter looked.

This is a letter from a school master to a boy's parents on the progress being made by their son in handwriting.

The letter is a work of art, see how the right hand margin is justified, each line is at the same angle and every letter is precisely the same, the letter comes from Philadelphia in 1882.

It reads

It affords me much pleasure to report that your son is making fine progress in his penmanship and that his general deportment is that of a gentleman.

image.jpeg

I really like the look of this pen. I'm thinking I might make it a 2023 purchase:

I don't know if you are an experienced pen user, I will assume that you are not but apologies if this is not the case.

Flexible nibbed pens are not for everyone, for example I struggle because I tend to write quickly and the pen often rotates in my hand.

The particular pen that you show has a couple of areas that would need investigation if I was buying it. There is a large step down to the section that might be annoying and you might find that your fingers slip on the section. I could be wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 5
Obviously, the configuration of pens and what suits the individual is very much a personal thing.

I personally find these comfortable to use, for my hand and grip. What makes them pleasant to me is the balance forward, the weight of which helps in flex.

Then again, I'm happy with pens that have coarse threads at the nib end of the section, which others can't abide.

Cult Pens have a YouTube interview with Sunil, the creator of these pens. He is also a fine exponent of flex, which is shown in the notes which he sends with a purchase, and a bit of which is in the video.

I don't know if you are an experienced pen user,...

He's from Devon so type slowly here for him.

dbx1NMo.jpg

;) :ROFLMAO::LOL:

I don't know if you are an experienced pen user, I will assume that you are not but apologies if this is not the case.

Flexible nibbed pens are not for everyone, for example I struggle because I tend to write quickly and the pen often rotates in my hand.

The particular pen that you show has a couple of areas that would need investigation if I was buying it. There is a large step down to the section that might be annoying and you might find that your fingers slip on the section. I could be wrong.
No offence taken. I use a fountain pen most days but I'm by no means an expert on them. In fact, I'm a complete creature of habit - Cross Townsend with a medium nib. I'm sad and have 8 of them....

Back
Top Bottom