A guide to buying and caring for vintage razors.

RideTheBlade said:
Thats very infomative and very interesting, do you know why they started with W in 1951 at the start of the codeing, and not A.
They actually started in 1930 with "A", but very few models had date codes between 1930 and 1950, systematic date coding started in 1951. (hence my list starting in 1951)

Max

First, very nice write up. I think its great that people take the time to write about vintage razors. And if anyone is looking for a cleaning guide that we recommend, check it out here! I agreed with nearly everything you said, but I would modify your classifications:

Mint - Less than normal wear, no plate loss.
NOS - Basicly a razor that has never been used

Mint= Just like it left the factory (or Mint, as the term comes from the coin world). ALL material is included and it hasn't been likely used.

A good example of a mint set is the Gold Pocket edition from our collection- it has the razor, blade bank, all original blades, case, cotton cloth bag, box and instructions.
gillette_tuckaway.jpg

New Old Stock (NOS)= Never been opened. Period. A good example of that are these Gem Razors:
new_old_stock_gem_junior.jpg

Razor Emporium said:
First, very nice write up. I think its great that people take the time to write about vintage razors.
Mint - Less than normal wear, no plate loss.
Mint= Just like it left the factory (or Mint, as the term comes from the coin world). ALL material is included and it hasn't been likely used.

Don't agree with you on the "mint", a razor can be mint, without having the box or being complete, this is only about the razor condition, in case it has the box/case, then it would be MIB (mint in box).

Then again, I've seen people grade some razors "mint", when they're clearly not.

I don't think this is the thread to discuss this, but please feel free to open a "grading" thread, and I'm sure some other members and myself will jump in with our take on it.

Max

Back
Top Bottom