A guide to buying and caring for vintage razors.

Nice guide, research what you are buying on ebay. A lot of items are described incorrectly or assembled from various bits, so do your research and ask questions.

Great guide and very helhelpful

Thanks I don’t know if I should have my Fatboy replated or leave it with its patina. It is not in that bad a state. Does anyone do this over here? I am only aware of one guy in US and it costs more to mail the thing to him than the job itself which is why I sadly don’t deal with US businesses.

Really useful guide, many thanks! I have a Super Speed (I think…) that has the lazy doors issue. The razor performed beautifully for a short while and then just froze open. Tried all the usual things to try to get it moving again - soaking in soapy water; WD40; mineral oil - but no joy. Can only assume that the seller had dropped it, somehow got it moving again, and sold it before it froze up again. Has put me off buying TTO razors, as it’s very difficult to assess via photos whether a razor has this problem or not, and by the time you find out it’s too late! I’m sure I could send the razor away for mending, but the cost of doing so is probably more than the razor is worth (or indeed cost in the first place…)