A few short thoughts on Prof.Blighty's aftershaves

I have ordered 3 AS's from Martin recently: Lavender, Musk & Blueberry.

What I can say with confidence is that be warned and don't let yourself be fooled with their prices, they're worth much more ;)

They come in a plain AS bottle, easy to use, the opening enables you to pour just about the right amount. The label would need a bit of a work (maybe I could help?). But hey, you don't buy AS's for their label, do you? ;)
The look of the liquid is strange, little drops of glycerine (?) float around - something we're not used to. He says - shake it before use. Do it. :cool:
The colour correspondences with the scent (lavender - purple, blueberry - blue, musk - yellow).
The scent is also straightforward: the lavender is like lavender, musk is like musk and blueberry is like blueberry. Yet, blueberry is a bit like candy and musk is a bit like nettle shampoo. Here's the only thing I would like to point out as a property that would need a bit of improvement. :geek: I would welcome a bit more complex scents. It smells the same in the bottle, on your face right after you put in on and after an hour too... Let me underline, this is not a minus! It's just the only thing that I could find to point out by my finicky nose :)
The soothing/burn/fighting and "general feel" properties are more than pleasing. No burn, no sting and it also seems to moisturize my sensitive skin.

Final verdict:
Look: 6/10
Feel: 10/10
Scent: 8/10 (-2 for the lack of complexity) but it lasts loooong...

Would buy again? I will (after some time though as I have some litres of open AS's :D)

Martin, you did a good job ;)

I was lucky enough to acquire the Grapewood AS. It smells like grapefruit with a hint of sandalwood so plus point there.

It is the best 'performing' AS I have ever used.

Regards

I recently have tried some of the Profs AS and found it very good, I agree with the label mine got wet and fell off on first use but that no real issue.

I'm seriously considering the vanilla AS and soap next.

Just a quick response to a couple of the points raised above.

The F31 range is a single scent range, for those who just want say, orange or lemon or whatever, there are currently around 14 single scents in that range. However for more complex scents there are also Grapewood: Grapefruit, Lilacs and Sandalwood. Applewood: Apples, Cinnamon and Ginger. Black and White: Jasmine, Gardenia, Orchids and Blackberries.

I am also often asked to make bespoke fragrances, I will discuss this with the user, and make a scent as complex or detailed as they want.

Splashes can also be alcohol based (burn) or witch hazel based (no burn). As fragrance and essential oils do not dissipate in a witch hazel base as they do in an alcohol base, you have to first shake the bottle in order to create the suspension before use. This is why witch hazel based splases, like Ogallala Bay Rum for instance are sold in dark coloured bottles, so you cannot see the globules of fragrance oils floating in the mix before you shake it. As it is thought the look of the globules will put the user off. Any witch hazel based splash with scented oils will ask you to shake it first, and usually is sold in dark bottles for that very reason. My economy doesn't really allow me to to purchase a multitude of different bottles, so I tend to use the same transparent bottles for both types. Although, having said that the new Black and White range is offered in black bottles.

Some fragrant witch hazels are sold in clear bottles, and there appears to be no globules in the suspension, this is because the scented oil is dissipated into alcohol first. To my mind this defeats the object, as witch hazel is far better for the skin than alcohol, and in my witch hazel mixes I also include grapeseed oil which will not dissipate in either alcohol or witch hazel. The grapeseed oil is superb for the skin after shaving, and leaves the skin with a soft satin finish, which many people have said they really like.

Hope this clears up a few points.

Thanks for all your support guys, I really do appreciate it.

Martin.

PS as far as the labels are concerned, as with anything else in my product range, I am always open to suggestions for improvement.

Great post Prof.

Also regarding the labels, I like them! Not super professional, but very personal.

Having tried Martins blended scents, grapewood is fantastic as is applewood for those cold winter days. Also Black and White... A review later on today. Just smells superb.

I love everything that I have tried from the Prof :D
I got a full set of bespoke products a soap, balm and aftershave and each one does its job exactly as it should and in my very own scent and at an excellent price :shave:

I'd agree with all stated in this thread.

I was lucky enough to be a sampler of the "Musk" AS when it was trialed, the smell is quite subjective, but the AS itself is great stuff, the only one of my AS's to leave my skin feeling as good as Old Spice Lime does.

I also bought a tailor made balm, PB listened to my skin type and made something to suit it specifically. And I'm very impressed with it, plus it's great value to boot.

Back
Top Bottom