A couple of little pointers please

I'm just coming to the end of the Astra SP blades, that I bought when I started DE shaving at xmas, and I'm about to start working my way through the packs that @SeanC kindly sent me as a consolation prize in a PIF he ran.

I've had a lot of fun trying out some soap samples from shavedash recently (MdC Original, Wickham Club Cola, the Signature samples and Hampshire Wool-fat) and will be getting Wickham's Ninfeo di Egeria soap and balm, and a Flat Bottom Tech for my birthday at the weekend.

So my question is, should I try and just use one soap and my DE89 clone so that I can gauge which blades I like more or continue to try out different soaps (I still have MdC Agrumes and MWF samples to try) and both razors with the different blades?

I guess each pack will last me about a month (4ish shaves a week) so I will get a good idea, whatever I do?

Lastly, is the Wilkinson's Sword black bowl soap worth keeping now I have better soaps? I returned to using it this week and feel like I have had a few shaves with more weepers and irritation but it may just be the price-placebo effect? Going back to using it has highlighted that I've got my face lathering technique to a fairly good level, which is nice :)

I'm just coming to the end of the Astra SP blades, that I bought when I started DE shaving at xmas, and I'm about to start working my way through the packs that @SeanC kindly sent me as a consolation prize in a PIF he ran.

I've had a lot of fun trying out some soap samples from shavedash recently (MdC Original, Wickham Club Cola, the Signature samples and Hampshire Wool-fat) and will be getting Wickham's Ninfeo di Egeria soap and balm, and a Flat Bottom Tech for my birthday at the weekend.

So my question is, should I try and just use one soap and my DE89 clone so that I can gauge which blades I like more or continue to try out different soaps (I still have MdC Agrumes and MWF samples to try) and both razors with the different blades?

I guess each pack will last me about a month (4ish shaves a week) so I will get a good idea, whatever I do?

Lastly, is the Wilkinson's Sword black bowl soap worth keeping now I have better soaps? I returned to using it this week and feel like I have had a few shaves with more weepers and irritation but it may just be the price-placebo effect? Going back to using it has highlighted that I've got my face lathering technique to a fairly good level, which is nice :)

You might want to stick with your clone and your forthcoming Tech until you get more confident with your technique. As this improves, your irritation and weepers will lessen. These are, more than likely, to be down to variations in preparation and technique; rather than product.

I wouldnt change too many variables at the same time. Better to take the time to learn how much water you need in one soap - how it should look. Once you figure out how it should look, you can lather just about any soap.

I’d advise you to run, run like the wind before you get dragged down the rabbit hole!

As others have said, stick with what you have, don’t change too much at once.

Well done for being patient with the Tech!

I’d advise you to run, run like the wind before you get dragged down the rabbit hole!

As others have said, stick with what you have, don’t change too much at once.

Well done for being patient with the Tech!
Cheers! Deferred gratification and all that :LOL:

I thought it was better to stick with the DE89 clone and Astras to get an idea of what I was doing before trying something new or in this case, very old!

Good to hear that you're enjoying face lathering. For me, that's the real joy of shaving. Take your time with the lathering - I like to build a proto-lather on the soap, keep swirling until a lather just starts to pull up rather than just loading. On the face, pay careful attention to the thickness and how much it moves around. Adding a touch more water when you think you're ready can often pull out a really shiny lather that is absolutely bob-on.

Anyway, blades ...

You've got a little stash there to try out, so jump on in and enjoy them. One strategy would be to change only one thing in your shave, so you'll use the blade for three or four shaves, either enjoy that with the same razor or the same soap. Next blade, change one variable. I like to try a blade in different razors which can be all very confusing at first, as you've little point of reference ... but it sounds like you're taking the slow road and enjoying the scenery as you go, so you'll build up a good picture in time.

If you're talking of running through a whole pack/tuck before moving on to another brand then yeah, just pick one soap, couple of razors and you'll gain a good understanding on the blades you're using.

When evaluating a blade, consider the materials - Stainless is basic, but should deliver a good, honest shave. They should be sharp and some can be quite smooth. Super Platinum should be smooth, will be sharp but you'll likely not feel it as easily given the smoothness. Bear those points in mind and see how YOU like the blade - if you don't, perhaps read around for opinions. Some of my personal favourites are blades that are very poorly spoken of and one or two empirically quite dull, like the Shark Stainless or the Treet Black Beauty. Some of my most hateful shaves have been with blades that are raved about! What works for you is most important and more than that, enjoy your journey.

Good to hear that you're enjoying face lathering. For me, that's the real joy of shaving. Take your time with the lathering - I like to build a proto-lather on the soap, keep swirling until a lather just starts to pull up rather than just loading. On the face, pay careful attention to the thickness and how much it moves around. Adding a touch more water when you think you're ready can often pull out a really shiny lather that is absolutely bob-on.

Anyway, blades ...

You've got a little stash there to try out, so jump on in and enjoy them. One strategy would be to change only one thing in your shave, so you'll use the blade for three or four shaves, either enjoy that with the same razor or the same soap. Next blade, change one variable. I like to try a blade in different razors which can be all very confusing at first, as you've little point of reference ... but it sounds like you're taking the slow road and enjoying the scenery as you go, so you'll build up a good picture in time.

If you're talking of running through a whole pack/tuck before moving on to another brand then yeah, just pick one soap, couple of razors and you'll gain a good understanding on the blades you're using.

When evaluating a blade, consider the materials - Stainless is basic, but should deliver a good, honest shave. They should be sharp and some can be quite smooth. Super Platinum should be smooth, will be sharp but you'll likely not feel it as easily given the smoothness. Bear those points in mind and see how YOU like the blade - if you don't, perhaps read around for opinions. Some of my personal favourites are blades that are very poorly spoken of and one or two empirically quite dull, like the Shark Stainless or the Treet Black Beauty. Some of my most hateful shaves have been with blades that are raved about! What works for you is most important and more than that, enjoy your journey.
Cheers! That’s great advice!

Back
Top Bottom