A bit nervous

Oh well - no excuse now.
My Muhle R106 arrived along with the blades.
I already have the shaving cream ,brush etc as I’ve been wet shaving with a cartridge razor for years.
I must say that I am a little nervous to make the first step and take my first DE wet shave. I guess I think I’m going to rip my face to bits.
im going to wait until tomorrow morning when I’ll have two days growth.
Here goes. Hopefully the start of a way to a better shave and a new technique to learn

Oh well - no excuse now.
I already have the shaving cream ,brush etc as I’ve been wet shaving with a cartridge razor for years.
I must say that I am a little nervous to make the first step and take my first DE wet shave. I guess I think I’m going to rip my face to bits.
Here goes. Hopefully the start of a way to a better shave and a new technique to learn

Slick soap and a light touch, (it's not like using a cart when you have to push it into your face for the swivel head to work)
Keep the angle more towards the top cap rather than the guard and you will have a great shave, you will get this and never go back to carts. (y)

Oh well - no excuse now.
Just some pointers (apologies if you know this)

A good, wet face (try to avoid face scrubs etc.)

Build the lather nice and slow on your brush. If you’re bowl lathering add water drop by drop; if face lathering, dip the tips of the brush and reapply to face. Get the lather the way you want it. Some like it rich and thick; others less so.

A far shallower angle than you’ve been used to with cartridges. Place the cap on your face and (without cutting) increase the angle until you feel the blade just touching.

Imagine you’re shaving the lather off your face. VERY LITTLE PRESSURE. Some razors are heavy enough for their weight to do the job.

The main advice is: don’t chase a cue ball smooth finish. It’s all about beard reduction; not elimation.

You can expect a bit irritation, a weeper or two; but your skin is getting used to a whole new shaving regime; so that’s normal.

Take your time and, above all, enjoy.

Just some pointers (apologies if you know this)

A good, wet face (try to avoid face scrubs etc.)

Build the lather nice and slow on your brush. If you’re bowl lathering add water drop by drop; if face lathering, dip the tips of the brush and reapply to face. Get the lather the way you want it. Some like it rich and thick; others less so.

A far shallower angle than you’ve been used to with cartridges. Place the cap on your face and (without cutting) increase the angle until you feel the blade just touching.

Imagine you’re shaving the lather off your face. VERY LITTLE PRESSURE. Some razors are heavy enough for their weight to do the job.

The main advice is: don’t chase a cue ball smooth finish. It’s all about beard reduction; not elimation.

You can expect a bit irritation, a weeper or two; but your skin is getting used to a whole new shaving regime; so that’s normal.

Take your time and, above all, enjoy.
blade-angle.jpg

Don't overthink it. It's like losing your virginity - you'll be a bag of nerves the first time but will wonder why you didn't start this along time ago when you find your rhythm.

Here I Am Surprise GIF

Well....... it's done
First proper "Wet Shave"
TOBS sensitive skin cream, PAA Amber Aerolite brush, Muhle R106, Personna Platinum blade, Trumpers Limes skin food and Floris Limes EDT

Not the smoothest shave I've ever had but it felt a lot less tuggy and draggy than the cartridge razor. I am never going back, This was a great experience. I was really nervous at first , but I followed all the advice and it indeed worked. No Cuts or nicks and relatively smooth skin. I could have made a third pass , but I didn't want to push it on my first go. Certainly didn't want to get cocky. The shave is certainly good enough, I would happily go to the office with it.

Thanks again guys for all the help and advice, I'm up and running :)

Well....... it's done
First proper "Wet Shave"
TOBS sensitive skin cream, PAA Amber Aerolite brush, Muhle R106, Personna Platinum blade, Trumpers Limes skin food and Floris Limes EDT

Not the smoothest shave I've ever had but it felt a lot less tuggy and draggy than the cartridge razor. I am never going back, This was a great experience. I was really nervous at first , but I followed all the advice and it indeed worked. No Cuts or nicks and relatively smooth skin. I could have made a third pass , but I didn't want to push it on my first go. Certainly didn't want to get cocky. The shave is certainly good enough, I would happily go to the office with it.

Thanks again guys for all the help and advice, I'm up and running :)
There was no need to be nervous after all! :)

Paul.

Agreed Paul - No need to be nervous at all, But a little bit of nervousness often helps things and avoids getting cocky :) Although it is a really nice feeling :)
I remember being a little nervous the first time I tried a DE it wasn’t the best shave but after that first initial shave I realised there was nothing to be nervous about and the shaves just got better and better, same thing happened when I recently started straight shaving to be honest

Back
Top Bottom