A 7/8" (or wider): a good idea, or just machismo?

My experience with firearms was as an officer cadet of the Cambridge University OTC. We were an odd bunch - some were serious army types going through university on sponsorships but most of us were just doing it for a lark so our instructors were right to be cautious. The adjutant was a captain in the Irish Guards and so laid back as to be practically horizontal but the sergeant looking after our wing (the sappers) was a para and most impressive.
Aye..The Paras Looked after Me on the Hospital Ship When I Got Zapped in the Falkland..Like Brothers to Me..They Also Took Me Under their Airborne Wings & Looked After Me During a Reunion when I Was Goin Through a Bad Patch..And Later On While I Was in Bellrock a Residential Supported Housing in Glasgow..I Was Off My Nut at the Time..Great Fun..We All Were Off Our Nuts..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Few Came Near Us..The Real Deal Boys.. :cool:

Billy

Aye..The Paras Looked after Me on the Hospital Ship When I Got Zapped in the Falkland..Like Brothers to Me..They Also Took Me Under their Airborne Wings & Looked After Me During a Reunion when I Was Goin Through a Bad Patch..And Later On While I Was in Bellrock a Residential Supported Housing in Glasgow..I Was Off My Nut at the Time..Great Fun..We All Were Off Our Nuts..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Few Came Near Us..The Real Deal Boys.. :cool:

Billy
My father was a Royal Marine in WW2. We owe so much to people like you and him who served their country.

You initial point about managing the blade angle is very valid and probably the main reason you should not go below 5/8”. I tried a 4/8” just once and found it too light as well as struggling with blade angle. My largest blades are 7/8” and I have no desire to get anything bigger. Again, weight plays a part here because spine width had to increase along with blade width in order to keep the geometry right, and, for me, bigger razors feel top heavy.

Back
Top Bottom