7/8" Kropp in Ebony

Having seen a recent post by Mikael and admiring the scales, I cleaned up this Kropp and made something similar. The scales are Ebony with a finishing Oil - the same as used on shave brushes - so it's fine for use with razors and buffs up nicely.

These Kropps are great razors and take a fantastic edge - this feels as if it's no exception but I havn't shaved with it yet.

That's a very interesting shape you have going on there Rob, reminds me of some sort of exotic ground nesting bird. PS you are right about the Kropps they are great shavers, I just finished honing a NOS Kropp today, I think most of them are full hollow ground and they are one of the easiest razors to hone, forgot to mention as well you very rarely see a 7/8 Kropp.

Jamie.

Holy crap. My favourite brand of blade in something inspired, I think, by Mikael's Buddel that I have so often coveted?

Woof. Do want. That's a stunner.

I think your scales looks better than mine, much nicer curves and flow in the shape!

No Buddel though, I'm afraid Rick (wouldn't mind one though, not at all actually ).

oscar11 said:
Very nice. What do you use for a finish on your wood?

Hi Oscar. I use a product called Liberon that's available here. It's similar to Tung and Danish oils and has a hardener. I found that three coats with a minimum 6 hour gap and followed by buffing on a wheel with a little wax results in pretty good protection.

One of the brush makers on this site (Bill, Le Tuft) told me he uses it and I reasoned that a brush will get far more direct exposure to water than scales do.

That is spectacular, Rob! :heart:

Curves like a bird, alright. 'Cept I was thinking of the non-feathered sort.

P.S. Is it this Liberon oil?

Gairdner said:
That is spectacular, Rob! :heart:

Curves like a bird, alright. 'Cept I was thinking of the non-feathered sort.

P.S. Is it this Liberon oil?

That's the one Graeme - I could only find it on the net as the likes of B&Q don't stock it. However, a little goes a long way so the cost with postage is worthwhile.

Dr Rick said:
Which one AM I thinking of, then, Mikael? You used it recently.

My Shavemac made by Dovo, sorry for thread jacking Rob (but this way everyone can see that your scales out classes Shavemacs )!

Thanks, Rob.

That's a lovely razor too Mikael but you're right, Rob's outclasses it in form and finish. I am imagining pippy Yew heartwood with the layered, concentric brass washers (again!) on that Kropp but the Ebony is stunning.

I was thinking of this one, of fonthunter's, who I hope won't mind me reposting his sotd pic:

[attachment=6581]

The resemblance is less strong than I've thought. Gorgeous, both.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361113689910.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 35
Gairdner said:
Thanks, Rob.

That's a lovely razor too Mikael but you're right, Rob's outclasses it in form and finish. I am imagining pippy Yew heartwood with the layered, concentric brass washers (again!) on that Kropp but the Ebony is stunning.

Cheers and very true!