404 error, and now it looks like some posts are missing.

Hi,
My bookmark for the forum kept giving me a 404 error for the last two days. The only way I could get back to this forum was to a search, and choose the link that came up in that search.
It also appears, according to my profile, that my last visit was the 27th of May.
I know that is wrong. I just posted a thread on a Rooney brush I acquired a few days ago, but can't find that thread or any other of mine since May.
Anyone know what's up with that?
Thanks.

you must have missed the past few days threads regarding the issues the site was having. the forum software has been changed but the posts from the last change until now have been lost (unfortunate but required) the bookmark to the current incarnation is different to the last. delete your old book mark and create a new one. There was also a mass email sent out to the addresses people had registered their accounts against explaining all this.

You should also have received an email message (assuming you used a real email address & that you read it)

Hello YOUR_NAME_HERE,

Since we 'upgraded' the site there have been numerous problems which have caused a lot of frustration for everyone. The decision has been taken to move away from the new software and onto a platform which will be more user friendly for everyone. There is a downside to this and that is data loss, this is unavoidable due to the way data is managed in the current software's database. All data since we moved from the old site to this current one will be lost. It is regrettable but unavoidable. I apologise to any new users who have recently signed up, you will need to re register when the changeover occurs.

I expect the change will be made within 48 hours but please watch the forum for details. I also urge you to back up anything you wish to keep.

We believe the change will make the forum easier for everyone, including the admins/mods.

Thanks for your support.

Thanks, guys. Yes my email is real, but i don't recieve emails of post replies or anything else from this forum, though I have (or had before the change) my preferences set up to recieve them. I have to physically check back to this forum and check for myself by going to my profile and looking through my posts for replies, or checking "alerts in the upper right of the page, which is how I found out posts were missing.. For example, I recieved no email for the two replies to this thread. I'll check my profile preferences again.
Thanks for the information.

Last edited:
You may need to check your spam settings if nothing comes through, the email went out to everyone registered so you should have got something.

If you operate your email as a POP account, it can sometimes happen that, in addition, to any Spam filtering your own mail client is doing, your ISP will have filtering going on on their server, diverting the email to an ISP-owned SPAM folder and making it impossible for a POP client to grab it. You need to access your email via your ISP's web-based email facility to control the filtering and recover any such email. I am thinking mainly of older BT accounts here.

Back
Top Bottom