2nd straight purchase...

So I have a vintage Solingen blade: 5/8, full hollow with round tip for a month now. Really happy with how it shaves.

What would offer a good alternative straight? 6/8, 9/16, sheffield with square point?

What was your path with straights? :shave

Well, there's no reason why my experience should translate, but here's a few observations:

If I were asked for a recommendation for a first razor, it would be a 5/8 full hollow round point, so the razor you've got gets the thumbs up from me. I've revised my opinion about this, because at first I started out with a quarter hollow and thought that full hollows would be skittish and temperamental, but experience suggests that the exact opposite is the case. Therefore, a razor with a stiffer grind will provide you with quite a change of feel. My Buddels are half hollow ground and have a nice weighty feel which encourages me to take my time and exercise a bit more care, so that's a possible course to take.

5/8 still seems to me to be close to the optimal width - for my rather angular face. Whilst I do enjoy using the big Hamburg Ring (13/16), it isn't very nippy in the concave areas, and it's far from ideal under the nose. 6/8 works all right though, which shows how much difference a sixteenth of an inch can make. I've had more success with narrower razors, down to 4/8, and consider them more versatile. I have a 3/8 out for honing at the moment and had an interesting (but lousy) shave with it before it went - it really did need some attention! That's a bit too thin for a second razor, probably, but a 4/8 or 9/16 would be manageable and they seem very good for getting those sideburns deadly accurate.

Finally, point styles. I really like square and French styles, but they are intimidating till you get used to them. Again, they encourage a bit of extra care (good) and allow pinpoint accuracy. So long as you're happy with manoeuvring a straight about your face I'd strongly recommend either of these styles for a change: they'll raise your game. These sharp pointed razors are much easier to get on with if the point is softened slightly during honing.

The short version: try an incremental change in width and a sharp point, and possibly a stiffer grind, but don't make a huge jump in any direction. Place of origin doesn't really have much of a bearing on the quality of a razor, so far as I have been able to ascertain. A lot of German companies used Sheffield steel anyway, and the forging and grinding is at least as important as the metallurgy, probably more so.

you are on a slippery slope.dove 5/8 tort. shell 2nd some stainless steel 6/8 off ebay with strop that i thought would be shit just for honeingpractice that turned out to be a good shaver.3rd 6/8 fily 4th pending a robert williams 6/8 ablone :

I would try and get a straight with another grind. If yours is a full hollow (prob so, if a classic Solingen blade) I would try a 1/2 hollow or a near wedge blade (stiffer blades than full/extra hollow ones). There¨s no big difference between a 5/8 and a 6/8 though, I think. Try a 7/8 or if you´re happy w the 5/8, stay w that.

I started out with a Sterling 6/8 and then a lot of Swedish blades and some Solingen ones.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep my eyes open for different grinds.

Anyone going to jump onto the Louper from strop-shop? pretty pretty :shave

Started with 5/8. Really no difference to performance other than aesthetic differences in grind and shape. Having used 4/8, 6/8, 13/16. In the end It's matter of preference. From aesthetic standpoint I love the "barber's notch" but having never had pleasure of shaving with one, I'd say the Square Point's are one of my favourites. The 4/8 would result in constant wiping of lather due to its smaller size. Since I'm 2-pass once over it's not at all cumbersome. When I tried 6/8 first time it was tricky at first. It was more challenging to use than a Japanese straight ( kamisori ) where you traditionally use the right hand throughout entire shave.

Some people like the heavier set grinds due to the weight of the blade or fact that they have sausage fingers. There are pros & cons to each size or grind ie Spike Point and Square Point you have to be mindful of the toe's positioning hence some Barbers and even other shavers purposely blunt the toe.

Round Point isn't as aggressive or dashing as others but it's great choice for green pea. I've quite a few of these actually.

Back
Top Bottom