RE: The Rolls Razor

I have one in good condition. Mine has the outer box and instructions booklet, dated 1951. I got an average shave out of it after having the blade professionally sharpened by Neil Miller. I've read that the strop and hone don't really sharpen the blade wedge much, but they probably weren't using a mint set like yours. Also, having used DE blades from around the same time, it was probably pretty good by those standards. It gave a comfortable but not exceptionally close shave for me and I'm spoiled by some of the DEs and injectors I have, so I can't say it was bad.
Lay the wedge almost flat on your face to get the best shaving angle.
I don't know how soon you would need it but if the leather is quite dry you might want to get some strop paste.

Let us know how you get on with it.

I have an Imperial No.2 set in good nick with instructions etc. Also bought a spare blade that looked pretty new, but have never been able to get it up to shave readiness using the hone and strop in the box. Nice looking piece of kit though.

When my paternal Grandfather died we found his childhood journal. He turned 18 in the early 30's and listed all the presents he was given. One of them was a Rolls Razor. It won't happen now, but I'd love to have found it.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom