2 months shaving in Holland

Hi All,
I've been off the forum for a few months as I'd been in Holland for the duration. I purposely only took a small choice of shaving gear with me. I'd like to share my brief experience and ask for your opinions if you have any.

This included:-
  • Mühle R89 (Good a reliable)
    Red Personna Blades
    GFT super badger travel brush
    Purchased New Forest Brush while I was there.
    Bluebeards revenge shave cream
    Nanny's citrus zinger[/list:u]

I decided to use bluebeards on my main days as I knew it well, also I wanted to see if it would reduce beard growth as claimed. I used nannys on my days off as I'm not great at getting a consistent lather with that soap. On my work days I needed a good clean shave. To start I was shaving in the mornings (about 11am) but needed to be clean shaven for the evening, so I started to shave when I arrived at theatres I was working in. All but one had hot and cold water, one had cold water only and that wasn't pleasant for me. Water was soft compared to londons hard water. So lather was generally quite good.

I noticed my shaves were better with nanny's if I got a good lather. Also my shaves in general seemed to be getting better, by the followings shave I didn't have so much beard growth. Was this due to the bluebeards revenge or my technique.I have been shaving with a DE since Oct 2009. Perhaps not changing variables even after this time was a good thing. While I was there I purchased fidos latest NF brush, pleased I did as on my return he'd sold out. This brush is great. Worked really well with the nanny's

In conclusion, were my shaves lasting longer due to the bluebeards cream or refining my technique with minimal equipment while I was there or even the water? On my return I used my Merkur Slant. perhaps I should use the same combination here to compare.

One last comment, the others guys I was working with didn't know how much fun and laughs shaving could be. Thats another story.

Nice to have you back buddy. I have never tried this "Bluebeards" cream. I am not going to buy one now as I am more determined to finish off some of the tubes I have first but the more I hear of it the more I am tempted. I don't really care abut the growth slowing claims, just sounds like a nice cream.

Nanny's soft soap is a good one but going from a cream or hard soap it does take a little bit of adjustment. I find it best using a stiff brush and lathering right in the pot, maybe a quick swirl in a bowl to thin it down if needed but it is very slick and delivers a good shave.

So you were working in a Theatre in Holland in the evening......hhhmmm......was it home grown films?

I sometimes think I simply have too much stuff and all the changing around might mean my shaves are not as effective as they could be. But I doubt I'll stick with one combination for very long before trying something else.

I suspect that using less did contribute to your results.

Welcome back.

Cheers for your input guys.

I was touring theatres with a tribute show out there.

Fido, thanks for posting the brush out there, Made a huge difference. Especially with the Nannys soap.

Back to normal changing the creams each day or so now.

Hey, welcome back NatJag.

I don't really know if the questions can be accurately answered very easily by anyone. There are quite a few variables, and a lot of speculation where subjective suppositions/assumptions could be put forward, but without actually having monitored and measured the effects, I'm not sure a definitive cause and effect relationship can be established. So I'd say it was probably a combination of factors, but that still just my guess.

Back
Top Bottom