1970's Gillette Platinums

My Dad just gave me some old DE blades. A pack of Gillette Platinums, the plastic box marked Made In England. I'm guessing that he hasn't used DE blades since the mid/late 70's, there are only 2 blades left so I guess this was the last pack brfore he 'upgraded' to the bonded blade system... :shock: The blades are marked 'Gillette Platinum' and with an arrow to show which way to push them out of the pack. There's no paper wrappers around the blades.

Can anyone tell me anything about these? How old are they, are they any good, are they the last two blades of the holy grail of DE blades? ;)

I'm going to give them a go just as soon as I've tried the Ever Ready single edge with the blades JohnnyO kindly sent me.

So many things to try, beard grows soooo slowly!!

You'll be hard pushed to find anything better.
Savour them.

I found 7 of these blades when I "returned" to DE shaving. Sadly they're all gone now and nothing compares to them...

never had the pleasure myself but they're highly regarded

get em used and enjoy the fact you'll never find a blade as good again...EVER! :lol:

Hmmm, I think I'll save them for when I get a nicer razor. If they're that good, shame to put them in my plastic Wilkinson Sword classic...! A good excuse for a new purchase if ever there was!

slowblade said:
Hmmm, I think I'll save them for when I get a nicer razor. If they're that good, shame to put them in my plastic Wilkinson Sword classic...! A good excuse for a new purchase if ever there was!

That's the spirit ………yes !!! :D

Big.Dave said:
I've just read this thread and I had some but got rid. I'm just going to go and shoot myself.

Why did you get rid of them without trying them?

There are some things in life that you need to keep for key events in your life, like getting married, the births of your children, etc. A decent blade should be one of them!

Back
Top Bottom