1940s super speed restoration

Ids

I've managed to get a 40s super speed which I'm pleased with and can't wait to start cleaning but there's a few issues:

The doors don't open evenly, is this common?

The end caps are missing, can you get these?

I think I'm more than likely going to get it replated from safety razors but just not yet.

Do mean you have a lazy door opening and closing more slowly than the other?

You'll probably find that once it's had a good soak, clean and oil that will alleviate the problem, as long as they close evenly and blade gap is equal that's the important thing. Some of the early SS's didn't have end caps, not sure which though I'm not sure I'd bother finding replacements even if they were missing.

Yes it opens lazy but one side also sits lower.

I think it had end caps because you can see solder marks and no nickel.

I'll try and get some posted tomorrow.

I've managed to get the door level now though, one of the metal bars that sit under the end had bent.

Just need to find some end caps now!

like Antad said if it was me i wouldn't bother with the End Caps, doesnt do the Razor any harm if there not there i don't think ?
and your not going to find just end caps on e-bay etc. i would just use it as a daily whisker wacker until a better one comes along (and it will ;) :D

a little story, when i first got into collecting DE Razors, i had a virtually MINT Gillette President Razor, but one end cap was missing and i sold it for i think a tenner......didn't know how rare these were then.... !!!

I think that's going to be the plan, I'm going to file the solder of the end and if I get it replated it'll look perfectly fine.

Thanks all

I'd perhaps consider getting my Fatboy replated at Safetyrazors.co.uk - I appreciate there are many variables, but has anyone ever done this and have any kind of idea of cost?

quattrojames said:
I'd perhaps consider getting my Fatboy replated at Safetyrazors.co.uk - I appreciate there are many variables, but has anyone ever done this and have any kind of idea of cost?

I have heard nothing but good about Dave 'ontoman' at safetyrazors.co.uk when it comes to re-plating. I have some things I'm wanting him to have a go at mysel, but I don't know his prices for re-plating. I plan to let him get back from his hols and then a few days later I will try and remember to email about the service.

i have also had Dave Replate a scabby Fatboy, he did a bloody outstanding job, all stripped down, cleaned, replated and numbers painted.
it is now a nice shiny example that gets use every week !!

dave does great work at very very good prices

steve

Ah good news, so it's not that expensive then. I'm really looking forward to getting this done.

Urban Hermit said:
I plan to let him get back from his hols and then a few days later I will try and remember to email about the service.

Give me a nudge to remind me when you do ;)

Back
Top Bottom