1901 sterling silver brush restored

ekeko

Chocoholic
Supporter
I bought this 1901 gentleman‘s silver shaving brush recently hoping I could restore it. Brush is around 18mm at the base but as you can see the bristles had been well used!

C2497454-DBCA-426B-A952-706FCB588727.jpeg

it was very tricky to get the old bristles out, I think the original manufacturer used 3:1 cement mix.
it was a bit heart in the mouth using my dremel and gripping the silver handle had to be done with great care.
Here’ the finished result though and I’m very satisfied.

7DEB70CF-045C-4210-A7D2-0EDAC051F111.jpeg

The handle is hallmarked with lion strident, leopard head and small f. This translates to Sterling silver, London and 1901. Maker’s mark is “w”, a fairly common initial.
The knot is small, 18mm and I had to trim this and open the handle a tad to get a good fit. I used a synthetic knot, I couldn’t find bristle at this size and synthetic brushes are ok for me.

The handle is hallmarked with lion strident, leopard head and small f. This translates to Sterling silver, London and 1901. Maker’s mark is “w”, a fairly common initial.
The knot is small, 18mm and I had to trim this and open the handle a tad to get a good fit. I used a synthetic knot, I couldn’t find bristle at this size and synthetic brushes are ok for me.
Very nice indeed!
If only it could speak, all the faces it's lathered over the years!
A real price of shaving history.
You've done a good job, cherish it and enjoy using it!

Paul.

Last edited:
Thanks Toby, just what’s needed for my next project brush. I tend to favour smaller diameter brushes, too much lather ends up in the wrong place when I use the big uns! Alan

Just picked up this 1833 William IV sterling silver travel brush, I’ve ordered a 16mm knot from “thegoldennib” which should fit ok. Not sure if the current knot is original but if so at 190 years old maybe not surprising it’s knackered so time to be replaced.

1B3DF2A1-3FCA-4D24-B883-0A72BBC1156F.jpeg

Cool, I had a look at it on the bay. (y) It may be smaller than 16mm.
Thanks Toby. I asked the seller before I made an offer and he confirmed 16mm. If I need to use the Dremel it will probably only be for a slight trim of the knot base setting. I’ve done this before successfully with 18 mm knots. Alan

Last edited:
Thanks Toby. I asked the seller before I made an offer and he confirmed 16mm. If I need to use the Dremel it will probably only be for a slight trim of the knot base setting. I’ve done this before successfully with 18 mm knots. Alan
I've done that too, but I use a bench grinder,... I once took a 27mm down to 19mm, stinky glue powder and hair everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom