Head shaving for beginners

Gents,

I have got to that stage of my life where I need to shave my head. Been buzzing with a trimmer for 20+ years. Now with no comb. As close as I can get. Sick of fluffy, and increasingly grey hairs popping up.

Any simple tips for a rank beginner? Watched a couple of videos on Youtube. I don't have the gumption to use a DE (for now). Thinking of using either a Mach 3 (have loads of blades) or buying a Skinguard to ease myself into the process. Guessing like wet shaving. No rushing, decent kit and no pressure....

Ta. Richard

Gents,

I have got to that stage of my life where I need to shave my head. Been buzzing with a trimmer for 20+ years. Now with no comb. As close as I can get. Sick of fluffy, and increasingly grey hairs popping up.

Any simple tips for a rank beginner? Watched a couple of videos on Youtube. I don't have the gumption to use a DE (for now). Thinking of using either a Mach 3 (have loads of blades) or buying a Skinguard to ease myself into the process. Guessing like wet shaving. No rushing, decent kit and no pressure....

Ta. Richard
Forget every and buy a Leaf Razor.
I have yet to use anything better for head shaving.
It was marketed for the face but it sucks, for the head it is lightening in a bottle.

I've now went full circle using all of my Vintage & modern SE razors...When I first started to wet shave my head and before i had the shaving confidence to shave with a DE or SE my razor of choice was the Gillette Guard.

It's the only cartridge razor I still add to my razor rotation and will continue to do so in the near future.

My first maiden shave with it felt like I was shaving with a potato peeler due to the tilting/pivoting head design but what I really like about is it doesn't clog up due to it been open comb having a large blade gap, one of the few if any open comb single edge cartridge razors on the market. It's excellent for tight spots and problem areas.

The Gillette Guard is easy to adjust to when shaving with it...I can normally get 3-5 max combined face & head shaves from one cartridge-head which is excellent value especially for head/dome shaving....

It's an ideal travel razor, or when you're in need of a quick close presentable face or head shave. What more can you ask for, admittedly I wouldn't replace it for my DE or SE razors but I will continue putting the Gillette guard into my razor rotation from time to time.

If I had to choose one go-to razor for shaving my head then the Gillette guard would be a very strong contender purely because it's such a comfortable good performing razor to use the pivoting head makes the shave effortless almost "auto pilot safe" without having to find the right shaving angle as the Gillette guard head does it for you which is a big bonus especially for head/dome shaving adding to that the replacement heads/cartridge you can get at a very inexpensive reasonable price.

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385300187038?itmmeta=01HX3KB4YZV4B52MHBXZPQ8P49&hash=item59b5ae479e:g:ffYAAOSwL7ljnjEI&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA4IF92m/WSzUcykx9hyf2s93JVzhHeBDi2RSZNpHZE1rmB/fU6bY0G0ofc7BRAec0zEWGTDtlM60UszZJ0N9YlOP6KXjiKGv4H4jdNMeMxXqVprXlABwp3qlx2m0R8KX7Fu5W5+EfXvlBnVkM86hIwXl/LdnYsdQB8YPH3CjJjFk9+Uzfr5jgH21rGinarfWobYiWgRgcoojULs3gkQj6MFT1k7SrRl2/hep83e4xz9uY8BikSycvmFz9LLO+ffUaj8+XF3j8vWdI99pC93PPBpvq329zpeNrM60XxW8VZykJ|tkp:BFBM1s-s8-hj&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&siteid=0&customid=&campid=710-53481-19255-0&toolid=10001&mpt=8313859

P.S. When I re-order I always go for the 1 Razor + 19 Cartridges choice.

Last edited:
I would echo @Palmolive fox on the Gillette Guard. Immediate, fuss free results with no learning curve. Depending on your inclination, the switch to using whatever DE razor you currently use for face shaving, for your head also, is a relatively gentle learning curve, and well worth the effort. Head shaving is very revealing of a razor, blade, brush and soap's characteristics, especially ATG. Mild razors such as the Tech, Krona, Feather, RR.68, with a soft blade will only take you a few shaves to dial-in.

You will get much more audible and tactile feedback when your head shaving, especially from your inner ear - tune into it and use it with feel, rather than sight to maintain angle. Go easy behind the ears, in the beginning there will always be a spot you miss, leave it till next time, you'll nail it soon enough.

Of course you'll pick up a cut or two in the beginning, but nothing will motivate more, to be more careful next time, which you instinctively and unconsciously will be. Razor blade chatter on DE razors that do not clamp the blade near its edge is a thing, when going ATG on your noggin, perfectly manageable, but razors that do clamp the blade securely are more comfortable. The ASD2/WSD2 excels in this regard, more so than any over razor I have used, and is as easy to use as the Gillette Guard for head shaving. Alum Block nearby and you will be great guns, you have already done most of the work already by using a DE razor for face shaving. Hope this helps, oh and buy a hat!, full on sun is pretty unforgiving on a newly shaved head.

Cheers guys.

I just went for it with MWF and a Mach 3 as I had one to hand.

One pass, no dramas or blood. Quite pleased. Took my time, smooth and the wife reports no missed hairs! Perhaps beginners luck.

Will look into the razor suggestions as I get more confident (y)

Cheers guys.

I just went for it with MWF and a Mach 3 as I had one to hand.

One pass, no dramas or blood. Quite pleased. Took my time, smooth and the wife reports no missed hairs! Perhaps beginners luck.

Will look into the razor suggestions as I get more confident (y)
Another vote for Leaf - a Twig in my case. I think one reason it works so well for head shaving is that it is virtually impossible to clog the head up - so, the razor won't 'bounce' or 'skip' causing damage. I use a brushless cream - Baxters of California - and shave my head in the shower. It's awkward at first but muscle memory kicks in soon enough. - cheers - I.

I would echo @Palmolive fox on the Gillette Guard. Immediate, fuss free results with no learning curve. Depending on your inclination, the switch to using whatever DE razor you currently use for face shaving, for your head also, is a relatively gentle learning curve, and well worth the effort. Head shaving is very revealing of a razor, blade, brush and soap's characteristics, especially ATG. Mild razors such as the Tech, Krona, Feather, RR.68, with a soft blade will only take you a few shaves to dial-in.

You will get much more audible and tactile feedback when your head shaving, especially from your inner ear - tune into it and use it with feel, rather than sight to maintain angle. Go easy behind the ears, in the beginning there will always be a spot you miss, leave it till next time, you'll nail it soon enough.

Of course you'll pick up a cut or two in the beginning, but nothing will motivate more, to be more careful next time, which you instinctively and unconsciously will be. Razor blade chatter on DE razors that do not clamp the blade near its edge is a thing, when going ATG on your noggin, perfectly manageable, but razors that do clamp the blade securely are more comfortable. The ASD2/WSD2 excels in this regard, more so than any over razor I have used, and is as easy to use as the Gillette Guard for head shaving. Alum Block nearby and you will be great guns, you have already done most of the work already by using a DE razor for face shaving. Hope this helps, oh and buy a hat!, full on sun is pretty unforgiving on a newly shaved head.
Great common sense advice. Thanks for the mention.

you can use the same equipment as on your face. go slow and adjust the angle till you feel it cutting but not scraping in each area. think of it as a collection of flat surfaces or facets with different grain directions and different angles needed, rather than just one rounded ball.

maybe start with some easy bits with a DE and finish the rest with a cart then take over more and more each shave.

or you could do a single pass with a DE then finish up with a cart.

I've used a shavettes a couple of times but only for the first pass then switched to a DE to finish up the areas that weren't close enough.

I'll use a cart if I'm traveling without checked luggage but it's not as close or comfortable or enjoyable imo.

Back
Top Bottom