SOTD- Saturday 16rd to Friday 22th October

fzjErST.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2020 Matilda Rhodium 2-band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Stirling Ozark Mountain
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Aussie Spoiler (7)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Bootlegger's Arctic Lime Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Stirling Ozark Mountain EdT

A very refreshing shave.

SOTD 21-Oct
View attachment 78771
Brush: C&H 'Strata Taper' V11
Soap: Mammoth Damocles
Razor: Rex Ambasador (4-2-1)
Blade: Gillette 7 SS (2)

Well that was an interesting shave, wonderful brush, razor and blade combination...not so sure about the damocles. The soap preformance itself was excellent, the balm worked an absolute treat, but the scent I'm not so sure.

You definitely get what seems to be metallic scent from it which is strange, and it might be that that's throwing me - I went into this knowing it might be odd. As it's settled on the skin it's pleasant enough but not wow. I got these with the intention of trying to import the splash and EDP, but I think I'm going to scrap that idea unless it ends up working its way over here.

Hope everyone has a cracking day!

Cheers

Marc
I’m really after this soap myself.
Chisel & hound has made a series of brushes to go with this soap but only available through mammoth. They really look too class

Razor = ATT Windsor Copper
Blade = Winner ( 1 )
Brush = The Darn Robb 24mm Boar
Soap = DG Darkfall
with matching splash
Balm = Simpsons Sandalwood.
EB374CD5-5290-40EC-B908-E8C831922A46.jpeg
Declaration Grooming Thursday

Well where do i start

Quite possibly the worst scent i have ever had.
Smokey beyond believe.
infact it reminds me of the worst Whisky iv ever had well not really i suppose there is no bad whisky only good ones & better ones.
Anyway back to the soap
it’s like iv been sitting at a bonfire for 3 days & never changed my clothes.
The notes say burning leaves in the fall or autumn as we call it in the u.k. and they are not wrong.
I will go back for another go at a later date just to confirm how bad it really is.
i might surprise myself perhaps i’ll like it but i doubt it.
The actual performance of the soap is not in question in any way but man the scent is Strong Burn Wood or as the website said burn leaves

Thur 21st October

Omega 11126 boar
Hampshire Wool Fat soap
Yaqi Raster V3
Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink ( 2 )
Tuff Red A/S lotion

My second outing with this Razor , so after a minor mishap yesterday made sure not to let my mind wander. Took extra care in the region of yesterday’s cut, and completed the Shave without further mishap. The overall finish was good and was particularly so around the neck, where many Razors struggle.

1A032066-1F22-4155-8A9A-EA51736141C6.jpeg

Sotd-21-10-21.png
This morning -

razor - Blackland Vector (on loan)
blade - Feather Pro (14)
brush - AP Shave Co. - SilkSmoke
soap - Ach Brito - Mogno
post - witch hazel
a/s - Vitos Tabacco
balm - BBA
scent - Gotas Frescas Hombre.

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ - selah - I.

SOTD 21-Oct
View attachment 78771
Brush: C&H 'Strata Taper' V11
Soap: Mammoth Damocles
Razor: Rex Ambasador (4-2-1)
Blade: Gillette 7 SS (2)

Well that was an interesting shave, wonderful brush, razor and blade combination...not so sure about the damocles. The soap preformance itself was excellent, the balm worked an absolute treat, but the scent I'm not so sure.

You definitely get what seems to be metallic scent from it which is strange, and it might be that that's throwing me - I went into this knowing it might be odd. As it's settled on the skin it's pleasant enough but not wow. I got these with the intention of trying to import the splash and EDP, but I think I'm going to scrap that idea unless it ends up working its way over here.

Hope everyone has a cracking day!

Cheers

Marc

Razor = ATT Windsor Copper
Blade = Winner ( 1 )
Brush = The Darn Robb 24mm Boar
Soap = DG Darkfall
with matching splash
Balm = Simpsons Sandalwood.
View attachment 78783
Declaration Grooming Thursday

Well where do i start

Quite possibly the worst scent i have ever had.
Smokey beyond believe.
infact it reminds me of the worst Whisky iv ever had well not really i suppose there is no bad whisky only good ones & better ones.
Anyway back to the soap
it’s like iv been sitting at a bonfire for 3 days & never changed my clothes.
The notes say burning leaves in the fall or autumn as we call it in the u.k. and they are not wrong.
I will go back for another go at a later date just to confirm how bad it really is.
i might surprise myself perhaps i’ll like it but i doubt it.
The actual performance of the soap is not in question in any way but man the scent is Strong Burn Wood or as the website said burn leaves
You're both experiencing the problem with blind buying artisinal soaps. In the manufacturer's chase for a greater range and new products, there's some utter honkers out there - at not insignificant cost either.

You're both experiencing the problem with blind buying artisinal soaps. In the manufacturer's chase for a greater range and new products, there's some utter honkers out there - at not insignificant cost either.
Your 100% right mate but to be honest i pretty much always blind buy.
Iv there’s a certain soap that someone recommends i’ll get it but mostly i never ask for opinions or views i just go for it.
in this case my wife bought it for me but in all fairness Darkfall would have been the soap of choice after reading their website.
This is truly the first soap i haven’t liked but perhaps i might change my mind in a few months

I’m really after this soap myself.
Chisel & hound has made a series of brushes to go with this soap but only available through mammoth. They really look too class
Yeah those brushes he did were brilliant, one stacked leather (as a raffle) the others with the metal tang running through. I almost threw one of them in the basket but I wasn't sure how stackry would have been with badger hair getting through, wasn't worth the risk.

The soap is a strange one for sure, I wasn't sure whether they really would have captured metal but to my uneducated nose it certainly seems like they have. As the day has gone on though I don't think this is really going to find a permanent home with me, but I'll give it one more bash and see whether it has a place or not.

Absolutely spot on, it's made doubly hard when scent descriptions mean jack to me, it was the mention of metal that made me raise an eyebrow. Plus I wanted to test Stackry before I sent the brush handle my Mrs bought for me through them. Should have gone with a known but thought ah well why not.

Luckily I don't hate it but it isn't love a first whiff, will I learn from my mistakes?...probably not lol

Well, I did try to see if the Dorco platinum was long. It wasn't, I lasted a few days, but each shave was pretty much the same. The first pass was always rough as ****, getting better as the stubble got lower. I don't think I even got to manage a DFS, there was always something not quite done. On top of that, my face was sore after each shave.
This morning, tried another new Dorco blade - it tugged the crap out of my face, so it got binned and replaced with a Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade.
What a difference, super smooth shave, DFS in 2 passes + pick ups!
Shame that the local supermarket are stocking complete duds - bound to put off potential DE users if they try these!

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_102615__01.jpg
    IMG_20211021_102615__01.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 5
Mitchell's wool fat, used directly on my face and lathered up with some little warm water.
Yaqui sagrada
Rex Ambassador 3-2-1
Gillette 7 'o clock Permasharp Stainless
Alum
Old spice

I am a fan of hard soaps and Mitchell's is really great... I can't get how it can make such a rich lather with so little soap consumed!
Being able to get gentler and gentler by dialing down the Ambassador provided a super comfortable and close shave.

Back
Top Bottom