SOTD : Saturday 10rd April to Friday 16th April 2021.

Pre = Bloomed water from the soap
Razor = 1968 Japanese Shiseido MG5
Blade = Japanese Super Point Stainless
Brush = Alpha Rubberset 400 Travel
Soap = Boots The Chemist 1970’s ish
Balm = Good Old Nivea
Splash = TOBS Eton Collection Collection
Well first time for me with much of this shave.
The Razor was a joy to hold & a joy to use,
The blade again was decent although i found it slightly tuggy but three good passes with no a blemish & zero feedback on the Alum.
The feedback on the razor itself was possibly the best iv experienced with each stroke being a genuine pleasure.
The Soap was a very Large sample from Paul Blademonkey, i wasn’t shure what to expect really but again it done its job nicely.
I’m unsure of the scent thought as it reminded me of a the smell from the blue rinse pensioner lol, possibly a imperial leather type smell, either that or they’ve p1ssed themselves & i haven’t noticed :ROFLMAO:
I’m Genuinely getting in to this vintage stuff but won’t dismiss the modern razors i have.
All in all a very decent shave & i’ll now look forward to my slim coming in the post next week

31A7CFBF-C854-42BF-B5FF-731078E658BA.png

Pre = Bloomed water from the soap
Razor = 1968 Japanese Shiseido MG5
Blade = Japanese Super Point Stainless
Brush = Alpha Rubberset 400 Travel
Soap = Boots The Chemist 1970’s ish
Balm = Good Old Nivea
Splash = TOBS Eton Collection Collection
Well first time for me with much of this shave.
The Razor was a joy to hold & a joy to use,
The blade again was decent although i found it slightly tuggy but three good passes with no a blemish & zero feedback on the Alum.
The feedback on the razor itself was possibly the best iv experienced with each stroke being a genuine pleasure.
The Soap was a very Large sample from Paul Blademonkey, i wasn’t shure what to expect really but again it done its job nicely.
I’m unsure of the scent thought as it reminded me of a the smell from the blue rinse pensioner lol, possibly a imperial leather type smell, either that or they’ve p1ssed themselves & i haven’t noticed :ROFLMAO:
I’m Genuinely getting in to this vintage stuff but won’t dismiss the modern razors i have.
All in all a very decent shave & i’ll now look forward to my slim coming in the post next week

View attachment 67988
Are you home now Mike? Great looking razor by the way, I'm pleased you enjoyed your shave.

Paul.

Saturday AM 2021-04-10
International Safety Pin Day
L8yxWq4.jpg

Rooney 1/2 Ivory Finest (24/53)
Acqua di Parma Colonia shaving cream (vintage)
Haircut & Shave P075-SB Mixed Metal Black
Wilkinson Sword 'New' (11)
Acqua di Parma Colonia aftershave
SQW5WHu.jpg

Saturday 10th April

ACtC-3cDbLeZSkwk5qiXzCNBhLUQYJHI7hvjSnooA_dKjD6Gch8iCJh87S5q-UkSlWToZ40dbeMaxdV899f7WyOvJvGNogRNQywr_QAqhT15Yo_CAbcP08p6X7R7rJyRAmfYke1xlEfanxYxKPwQ895Ttj6MpQ=s800

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Erasmic Shaving Soap
Omega 10098 Professional Boar
Yaqi Katana DLC w/Star Bakelite Handle
Gillette 365 (2)
Denim Aftershave (Vintage)

Second run with the lowly 365 which delivered a super shave!

Vocal fellow, so presumably quite thin, whose character is not so much "not smooth" but "not raw" giving a close and irritation-free finish. It's a simple, good, honest, no-frills stainless shave. I like that kind of shave. That said, I think I prefer SuperMax and so I'm rating the 365 just a tick below the basic Vidyut/SuperMax Economy Stainless (7.9) at 7.8.

... and that brings my little run through the Indian Gillettes to an end. Great to have re-acquainted myself with them, particularly in the aftermath of a monumental burn through the SuperMax house. While you might not agree with my ratings, they're my ratings - bear in mind that I'm not particularly a fan of platinum coated blades and have a preference for straight-up stainless. Curious, then, that my higher ratings are for platinum and lower for stainless.

Gillette Winner Special Platinum 9
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum 8.5
GIllette 7 O'Clock PermaSharp 8
Gillette 365 7.8
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) 6.9
Gillette Winner Stainless 6.9
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (China) 4

From this lot, while the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum is no doubt one which I'll find all manner of subtle characteristcs over time with different razors, it's the Gillette Winner Special Platinum that was the real find for me here - this is a blade I particularly like, where the sharpness is not so masked by the smoothness of platinum and gives a very consistent shave. Much thanks to donnie_arko for the introduction.

For points of reference, I hold the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow/Russia) very highly also at 9/10 while the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green/Russia) failed to impress at 6/10. Meanwhile, over at SuperMax, most of their Super/Stainless blades sit around 8/10 and their new epoch Super Platinum at 8.5/10. Pretty concurrent, then with their Indian Gillette equivalents that they are no doubt chasing.

Enjoyed also was the Erasmic shaving soap. I usually use my vintage in the red bakelite pot, some kind of commemorative edition. This formulation is one of the newer ones, presumably the newest of those formulations? The one with lanolin in, anyway. Much thanks to @Dcshaves for his generosity sending me this tub.

In the realm of toilet citrus scents, Erasmic is King! Derby the upper class and Arko the peasant ...

Yeah! Good (enough) shave, that!

Last edited:
FXgeHBb.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Spoiler (3)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia Aftershave Splash

An effortless, smooth and close three pass shave with this line-up, with tobacco featuring prominently.

Are you home now Mike? Great looking razor by the way, I'm pleased you enjoyed your shave.

Paul.
Thanks Paul much appreciated
no unfortunately not home and dosent look like i’ll be home anytime before june/ july,
not the best but i guess i need to make the most of it.
My wife is shipping me out some soaps to cheer me up :ROFLMAO: . She bought me 3 Mammoth soaps recently & hopefully i should have them this week as they cleared customs on the 31st March.
Things just take forever to get here unfortunately

20210410_184335.jpg
Evening SOTD is brought to you by
Brush
Haryali London Modern Black Silver Tip Badger hair Shaving Brush.
Preshave
Edwin Jagger pre shave lotion
Razor's
Carved Razor compliments of @Tony'schin
Wilkinson straight razor on standby incase the other was not shave ready.
Shaving soap
Philosoap by Faena.
Aftershave Balm
Philosoap by Faena.
Aftershave
Philosoap by Faena again.

I wanted nothing but luxury items to do this razor justice and the Faena set oozes it in spades.

A lovely shave tonight nice and BBS with a seal of approval from the wife after doing the snog ya face off test.
Have a nice evening Gents. :cool:

View attachment 67953
Razor - Blackland Tradere Gen 2 SB
Blade - Gillette Bleue NOS
Soap - Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge
Brush - Alpha Outlaw Ti V2 Silvertip
Post - Thayer's Astringent
Frag - Pour Homme De Caron EdT

My final shave with this lovely razor so kindly loaned to me by @Tony'schin .
I have enjoyed using this razor very much indeed and today's shave was no exception.
A wonderful creamy lather was produced from the Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge soap and another use of the fantastic Gillette Bleue NOS blade.
A perfect shave was had leaving me with a super smooth finish.

Thank you Tony.

Let's be careful out there!

Paul.
Love the Czech and Speake container. I used to have one and regret selling it. Oxford and Cambridge is such a beautiful scent

Love the Czech and Speake container. I used to have one and regret selling it. Oxford and Cambridge is such a beautiful scent
Yes they are lovely container's but I dread dropping it in the bathroom sink or on my toes!!! :)
Yes the scent of the Oxford & Cambridge is simply wonderful, as it is with the "88" scent, a top performing soap to boot!!! :)

Paul.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul much appreciated
no unfortunately not home and dosent look like i’ll be home anytime before june/ july,
not the best but i guess i need to make the most of it.
My wife is shipping me out some soaps to cheer me up :ROFLMAO: . She bought me 3 Mammoth soaps recently & hopefully i should have them this week as they cleared customs on the 31st March.
Things just take forever to get here unfortunately
Well I wish you well and I hope you get your shaving supplies soon.

Take care,

Paul.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom