SOTD : Saturday 06th March to Friday 12th March 2021

Hi Boycie, Thanks for asking about the Blackland Signature brush. I agree it looks great, and it feels really good in the hand, however you hold it, the anodised aluminium finish has plenty of grip. The surprising thing is the rather small knot, at 23mm it has a very compact and quite dense black fibre knot. Smaller, but similar to the Razorock 24mm black fibre knot, and not the same as the Mühle black fibre, but a similar size to their 21mm knot. I hope you followed that! Small knot, or not, it works very well with soap or cream creating a wonderful plentiful lather. As a face latherer it works particularly well for me with the smaller knot, but I suspect it wouldn’t be first choice if you were principally a bowl lather guy. I hope that covers it. It is a premium product for not too much.
That sounds right up my street - I'm a face latherer. Thanks for the info (y)

ieQTZWd.jpg

image0 (12).jpeg

EJ Synthetic
Parker 55sl
Voskhod
SIgnature Soaps Capra
Signature Soaps Leodis splash
Lea Balm

Signature Soaps.................... I get it now. This shaving soap is just so silky smooth, genuinely blown away by how good it is and how good it feels. The same goes for the splash sample Brian kindly sent, the Leodis scent is lovely but the feel of it is amazing. Reminds me of Speick in that it actually feels like it's doing you some good, maybe even more so...
Just amazing!

View attachment 65983

EJ Synthetic
Parker 55sl
Voskhod
SIgnature Soaps Capra
Signature Soaps Leodis splash
Lea Balm

Signature Soaps.................... I get it now. This shaving soap is just so silky smooth, genuinely blown away by how good it is and how good it feels. The same goes for the splash sample Brian kindly sent, the Leodis scent is lovely but the feel of it is amazing. Reminds me of Speick in that it actually feels like it's doing you some good, maybe even more so...
Just amazing!

Capra is excellent, lovely neutral post shave feel too.

Saturday 6th March

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Meissner Tremonia Warm Woods (Soft)
Semogue SOC Taj (Boar)
RazoRock German Slant
Zorrik Super Platinum (3)
Cuba Aftershave

Indeed! This facelifted Zorrik Super Platinum has followed the exact same trajectory as the sibling brand Vidyut Super Platinum that I used a few blades ago with a smooth over keen first shave, then a keen over smooth second shave and finally a perfectly balanced shave off the third. In all, 8.5/10 which is where I have the Gillette Platinum!

I think the RazoRock German Slant makes for a great shave with many of these SuperMax blades.

To clarify, this is the blade I've been using ...

ACtC-3dL0DDYu6yRuwycgDUUco_-uMrFTFTbgnxI8l7XwP7YCqbJqxjLJ7scdBj8IESYyX8NWZ1rhIa-m2GxDHEWSgTAWoDoYxu43Ns7q21qEFqeQIJx0oTSxV5JYMbqad0D_wrq3mvYAT43XYOJ-tgKi1hrMQ=w300

... not this older generation of the same blade which is nowhere near as good, giving a rough and tuggy shave.

ACtC-3fArAmWthcAp-69TbwkThY40gPkbTcYF4xIhU4dQ2dL2BLWrgpvFvoxatRTcwJGuEpx1PqeSGTx32ExbiZkDQIJt3PpyM7nmkG3mWhcrPzvKHYnu5CuCn0aHLI5lFegQloC4PfezqNEM9u_XzXGUGx46Q=w300

I believe this later generation Zorrik Super Platinum is the same blade as this Vidyut Super Platinum ... and likely the same blade as the SuperMax Diamond Edge (which admittedly, I have not used as I don't have one ... anyone?).

ACtC-3cc6vvZAfXEbbzljmErtenM1FZ6adLoOsw2Z1ftoDL7fY7Grk__lDXrw8FKIncCsmnQ9MWquWhUEeMmGLmZdfwaZlzjZsUJg8yyisWuF91D0St6nIN5_VVuCnqgxOy9W1wImxzlQvLkzzOkJK8ZNltHfQ=w600

... the latest generation of SuperMax blades seem to come in these branded greaseproof wraps, as shown above. I think that's the key to understanding the various generations that are available out there.

I will do a full write-up of the SuperMax blades that I've tried and how I think they fit together. Just two left: the SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum and the old generation SuperMax Stainless in the blue/coral wrappers. There are still more out there that I've not tried, but I think I've assessed a good 90% of what's available.

Good to try one of Meissner Tremonia's more recent offerings: Warm Woods. Yeah, a really nice, woodsy soap and everything that I'd expect from Meissner Tremonia, a truly artisinal producer. Spritz of Cuba aftershave finished it all off nicely with a floral tobacco scent not dissimilar to Turkish colognes, just not quite so raw.

Last edited:
Saturday SOTD

• Ach Brito Mogno
• YaqI Chianti 24mm Synthetic
• RazoRock Hawk V3 Standard Plate
• Kai Pro Touch MG (1)
• Brut Sport Style Aftershave

The Pro Touch MG blade is by far the smoothest and blade I've used in the Hawk. In Standard Plate mode, I couldn't detect any discernable blade feel whatsoever. Next time I'll swap to the A Plate to compare.
Finish was good, and no tingle from the Brut Aftershave.

@mpf9ret

Last edited:
Sun 7th SOTD
Soap CBL Peanut Butter
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2 Band Badger
Razor Gillette New LC
Blade KAI 2nd
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Soap lather quality is just ok with enough slickness but not much of a scent. Some light aroma...not sure if it's peanut...
Shave with razor paired with the blade was good. Reasonably smooth for 3passes for a surprisingly good bbs to dfs results against 1 weeper. The challenging atg pass on the chin and lips area was crisp and smooth.
20210307_102233.jpg

Back
Top Bottom