SOTD : Saturday 06th March to Friday 12th March 2021

IMG_20210305_104145_5~2.jpg
6th March SOTD 2021

Razor - Holley Manufacturing Co Lakeville Connecticut USA 6/8 Straight Razor, c.1900

Soap - Hampshire Wool Fat Lanolin shave soap

Brush - Shavemac 30mm Two Band Silvertip Fan

Post - Thayer's Astringent.

Frag - Minotaure - Paloma Picasso EdT

IMG_20210305_104531_3~5.jpg

A great shave was had, I love this Holley straight razor, not just because it's rare and old but because of the history attached to it, if only it could talk! :)

Until the next time, take care and stay safe.

Paul.

157359507_808711306391269_4645815350177588000_n.jpg

Prep: Shower, Palmolive Olive Soap
Soap: Mastro Miche Artiglio
Brush: 24mm Boti Brush Boss knot
Razor: Parker 22R Interceptor
Blade: Voskhod (2)

A utilitarian shave with a flowery finish today. Everything worked perfectly, and the Parker/Voskhod pairing is a match made in Heaven. Right, off to spend Saturday playing with the new pressure washer while smelling divine ;)

Todays Shave Kit Saturday 6th March 2021

Shave Score 9.85/10.0

PreShave: Hot Shower
PreShave Cream: Proraso Refreshing
Soap: Martin de Candre Rose
Brush: Clear Confidence Co Synthetic Shaving Brush - Vegan-Friendly
Razor: Merkur Progress 500 (3.0, 2.5, 2.5)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Post Shave ASL: Spitfire
Post Shave Balm: Barts ASB Ben More (Bergamot & Vanilla)
Post Shave Cologne: Geoffrey Beene - Bowling Green

The last outing on the Nacet blade, probably had a shave or two left in it, but excited and nervous about tomorrows shave with my first ever Feather Pro Blade :)

Have a Great Day All :)

Joe

5FEE66DB-2ECD-4D2B-BE64-94A77C3A2AA1.jpeg

6/3/21

Brush - Omega 11819
Soap - Vitos Red Coco
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Astra SP (1)
Post - Witch Hazel/Nivea Balm
AS - Benjamin's Bay Rum

I've got a fair few new Gillettes which I am really looking forward to testing so before I crack onto them I thought it would be good to use the benchmark Astra SP again to base my shaves around. I forgot how exceptional the Astra SP is, it was incredibly smooth and efficient in the shave and I had a 2.5 pass shave with no trouble in the slightest bit.

My lather wasn't the best one today though, a bit thin in places which is rare for Vitos; I didn't load enough soap at the start of the shave.

Seemed to pick up a fair amount of irritation at the end of the shave though, not entirely sure whether it was down to the blade, the lather or putting onto too Bens Bay Rum splash, but it'll pass shortly I guess.

Anyway chaps, have a good Saturday.

04D4C922-26A9-454B-875B-E5FDFB9CE11E.jpeg
Shavemac TSR L.E.
Twig razor
Twig half d.e. blade (1)
OSP Sandalwood
Humphrey’s witch hazel
OSP Sandalwood a/s lotion

The Twig razor piqued my interest recently, having never tried a razor in this format before I thought I’d give it a try. I was principally drawn in by the idea of the slimline head and the advantage of getting into those hard to reach areas under the nose and around the jaw. I have to admit that it dealt with four days growth very well, and excelled in the those aforementioned areas. Not entirely sure about the Twig branded blades, not the sharpest and there was a fair degree of drag. Think this razor will be a very good quick shave and travel razor option.

Stay safe chaps and enjoy your weekend.

6 March

B&M Reserve Fern
Blackland Signature
Blackland Blackbird
Personna med prep
Bart’s Grapefruit and Pepper asb

2222D6C5-0280-404B-9B7A-E01596EAD3C7.jpeg

A fabulous Saturday shave. Two passes and a super close result. I really like the way the Blackbird feels in the hand. I prefer a shorter handle, and this makes the Blackland razor, for me, better handling (pun intended) than the longer handled Mühle Rocca. The shave is similar but my impression, from my last shave with it, was the regrowth was less noticeable with the Blackbird. Lucky brother.

6 March

B&M Reserve Fern
Blackland Signature
Blackland Blackbird
Personna med prep
Bart’s Grapefruit and Pepper asb

View attachment 65969

A fabulous Saturday shave. Two passes and a super close result. I really like the way the Blackbird feels in the hand. I prefer a shorter handle, and this makes the Blackland razor, for me, better handling (pun intended) than the longer handled Mühle Rocca. The shave is similar but my impression, from my last shave with it, was the regrowth was less noticeable with the Blackbird. Lucky brother.
What do you think of the Blackland brush? It looks stunning.

Pre = Fitjar Islands Charcoal Bar
Razor = Rockwell 6s setting 4
Blade = Gillette Super Slim Stainless ( 1 )
Brush = Pearl 24mm Synthetic
Soap = Ariana & Evans Sol Cal Hipster
Splash = Same as above
Balm = Good Old Nivea
Brilliant shave this
Iv been using the feather the whole month of February and going back to the Rockwell i actually forgot how heavy it was,
i’m fairly sure it’s around the 120 gram mark so very substantial,
I genuinely think this razor is underrated however the slight blade overhang perhaps stops it being perfect.
The blade was another first for me
Gillette Super Slim Stainless and just like the Platinum it’s another 10/10 for me, absolutely class. The soap well like most A&E the scent & performance are terrific.
By the way i’m not in my own house
i’m in quarantine in a hotel in Norway however the bathroom is very similar to mine lol
now i feel at home.
Stay Safe Boys
EBCAB29F-C529-4042-BB48-BC97CF4133DB.png

Saturday

Phoenix and Beau Star Noir
RazoRock BC Silvertip synth 24mm
Face lather
Merkur 37C
Gillette Silver Platinum (2)
Thayer’s Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Phoenix and Beau Star Noir aftershave

An excellent shave today. The Silver Platinum blade pairs well with the slant. Soap and splash work very well. The splash does smell a bit different than the soap; but you can tell they are related. It reminds me of Guerlain’s Habit Rouge.

59D10944-7D17-4DF9-85CD-B6BD9126B58C.jpeg

What do you think of the Blackland brush? It looks stunning.
Hi Boycie, Thanks for asking about the Blackland Signature brush. I agree it looks great, and it feels really good in the hand, however you hold it, the anodised aluminium finish has plenty of grip. The surprising thing is the rather small knot, at 23mm it has a very compact and quite dense black fibre knot. Smaller, but similar to the Razorock 24mm black fibre knot, and not the same as the Mühle black fibre, but a similar size to their 21mm knot. I hope you followed that! Small knot, or not, it works very well with soap or cream creating a wonderful plentiful lather. As a face latherer it works particularly well for me with the smaller knot, but I suspect it wouldn’t be first choice if you were principally a bowl lather guy. I hope that covers it. It is a premium product for not too much.

Back
Top Bottom