Your story about your first steps in wet shaving

Hey guys,
I'm wondering about your stories about how you first got in touch with wet shaving?
Did the desire came up by yourself or did somebody proposed it to you?
I personally was always fascinated about straight razors because they come in so many different shapes and sized. I just love everything with great design... It was not even the shaving aspect that made me buy my first razor. The love for shaving itself came later when I actually started shaving for the first time.
But in the beginning, I was just drawn to the looks of the razors itself...
That was what made me buy my first razor.
Excited to hear your stories.

I was visiting my uncle and saw a nos straight that was a 5/8. After a year I started reading about them and saw that you can use lapping film to hone them in expensively. Ordered some lapping film after I asked my uncle if I can have the straight which was collecting dust and the rest is history...

In my case was following on my Dad's footsteps, he used to shave with a DE when I was growing up, his father (my grandad shaved with Straight razors.
At some point I moved to Electric razors for about 10 years before I moved back to wet shaving with cartridge razors.

My wife bought me a Merkur 34G about 6 years ago and I never looked back.

The majority of the UK and Europe wet shaved with system, cart and disposable razors. I started wet shaving im 1984, with Wilkinson Sword disposables

Started wet shaving in 1973 with a Gillette Techmatic (one of the first [I think] disposable/system type razors); also used to use it to keep the top of my hair short (this was the skinhead era). My father always used electric, but my initial electric shaves ended very quickly. Always hankered for a straight and came very close to buying one (c/w strop, brushes, soaps etc) probably 30 odd years ago from Geo Trumper in Jermyn Street, but eventually refrained from doing so. Around a year ago tried DE shaving [R41GRANDE MÜHLE TRADITIONAL Large Chrome Safety Razor (Open Comb)] but just did not get on with it, as I was consistently cutting my face to shreds and I like to shave both quickly and on most days. My preferred cartridge is the Gillette Sensor, but quite price restrictive nowadays, but have picked up some tips on the cartridge forum for my next trial purchases when my current Gillette two blade Slaloms run out.

I also find that the under nose and around nostrils areas extremely difficult to shave with a DE (because of the blade cover), some have suggested that one could use a cartridge for these areas, but this seems not quite the point of DE shaving in the first instance. Will never become a hobby shaver I don't expect! But, good luck to those that do and enjoy it!

I started with a three peice razor when I joined the British Army in the early 80s and continued to use the same razor untill I left the army and started using carts and later electric razors until 2016 when I re- discovered De razors and joined TSR.
I don't understand the term "Hobby Shaver", I shave because I want to be clean shaven, I do this every day, it is a habit not a hobby! :) P.

I started towards the end of 2010. I googled how to stop ingrown hairs (I used to have many on my neck after every shave with my sensor excel, mach 3 and fusion). The results were very few, but all of them pointed to this safety razor which I had no idea what it was, so I had to google that separately too. Then I thought to look for "tutorials" on Youtube. 3 guys were the main actors. One now has a famous (within wet shavers at least) blog; another one opened a business in wet shaving after few videos; the third one was the least technical yet I consider him to be my Maestro. He's from the UK and has stopped making videos few years ago. Many nicks and cuts later, I was a proficient wet shaver (by proficient I mean that I am pretty satisfied with how I shave) and more importantly: I haven't had an ingrown hair ever since.

Hobby shavers usually enjoy the whole process of shaving and enjoy collecting the paraphernalia that goes with it. They usually get pleasure from shaving and experiencing different shaving soaps, creams, brushes etc. I just see shaving as part of my everyday ablutions and like to get the process done as quickly as possible. Many people on this forum are by the nature of the forum hobby shavers; they enjoy the process of shaving and like to spend time experimenting with different types of shaving equipment and products.
Hope that clears it up for you BM. Sounds like you are like me not a hobby shaver, just see it as something one has to go through every day, the same as cleaning one's teeth or washing one's hair.

Hobby shavers usually enjoy the whole process of shaving and enjoy collecting the paraphernalia that goes with it. They usually get pleasure from shaving and experiencing different shaving soaps, creams, brushes etc. I just see shaving as part of my everyday ablutions and like to get the process done as quickly as possible. Many people on this forum are by the nature of the forum hobby shavers; they enjoy the process of shaving and like to spend time experimenting with different types of shaving equipment and products.
Hope that clears it up for you BM. Sounds like you are like me not a hobby shaver, just see it as something one has to go through every day, the same as cleaning one's teeth or washing one's hair.
It is something that needs to be done but I can not deny I get pleasure from having a good shave and using other soaps but I would get pleasure in cleaning a pair of shoes properly , infact doing anything to the best of my ability will give me pleasure I take my time when shaving because rushing anything is bound to cause you to make mistakes. I enjoy the act of shaving as much as any man here but still don't think it is a hobby, which is a pastime you enjoy in your spare time, a hobby you can forget about for some time and perhaps come back to it, I shave every day to ensure a neat and tidy appearance but I still enjoy every aspect of shaving P.

Last edited:
Always been into nice grooming products then saw some of the razors and brushes to be had in the shaving world and just had to...recently got my dad back into it after 30 years and he's hooked too

Ha ha you're such a bad influence mate! ( just kidding! ) good to hear you're dad is enjoying it after so many years!

I started towards the end of 2010. I googled how to stop ingrown hairs (I used to have many on my neck after every shave with my sensor excel, mach 3 and fusion). The results were very few, but all of them pointed to this safety razor which I had no idea what it was, so I had to google that separately too. Then I thought to look for "tutorials" on Youtube. 3 guys were the main actors. One now has a famous (within wet shavers at least) blog; another one opened a business in wet shaving after few videos; the third one was the least technical yet I consider him to be my Maestro. He's from the UK and has stopped making videos few years ago. Many nicks and cuts later, I was a proficient wet shaver (by proficient I mean that I am pretty satisfied with how I shave) and more importantly: I haven't had an ingrown hair ever since.

Who's that Maestro? Do you still have a link on his Youtube? I'm still struggling with ingrown hair.

I think most people understand the difference between a hobby shaver and one that shaves as part of their overall ablution routine. I can't say that I particularly enjoy shaving, as much as I can't actually say I enjoy brushing my teeth or washing my hair; they are all necessities for one's personal hygiene routines and well being. There are many hobby shavers that see it as just that and get pleasure from collecting: razors, shaving equipment, preparations, brushes, bowls, soaps etc (and have quite vast collections) and spend many a happy hour (and a lot of wonga) trying and testing all such items out and the very best of luck to them.

I think most people understand the difference between a hobby shaver and one that shaves as part of their overall ablution routine. I can't say that I particularly enjoy shaving, as much as I can't actually say I enjoy brushing my teeth or washing my hair; they are all necessities for one's personal hygiene routines and well being. There are many hobby shavers that see it as just that and get pleasure from collecting: razors, shaving equipment, preparations, brushes, bowls, soaps etc (and have quite vast collections) and spend many a happy hour (and a lot of wonga) trying and testing all such items out and the very best of luck to them.
Maybe I do fall into the bracket of being a "hobby shaver" then because I do get a great deal of enjoyment from shaving and I do have several razors buushes bowls ect but does that also make me a hobby shoe / boot polisher because I also get great satisfaction after I have done a propper job on my boots ( an army thing ), I would hate to list it as one of my hobbies unlike playing chess which I wouldn't mind listing as one of my hobbies :) P.

Back
Top Bottom