Your Perfect Home

I grew up in a detached 3 bedroom bungalow never ever hearing our neighbours. At 21 I bought my first home, a studio which was less than twice my salary. At 27 I bought a 1 bed apartment, which I sold a few years later. I spent 20 years as a IT contractor working around the world, even living in Amsterdam for 4 years. I have been renting various 1, 2 and 3 bed deluxe apartments with balconies. Noisy neighbours has featured quite prominently. Home and job, have been the two areas I have never been happy with. Anyway I found a City with affordable Victorian housing, hopefully I will have a 3 or 4 bedroomed home with up to 3 reception rooms. I really despise the Lounge Diners I have had to put up with for 30 years.

What's your dream home within reason?

An old lone fisherman's cottage a stones throw from the beach here in Cornwall, the only down side would be the hordes of visitors every year coming down for their holiday's on the beach but I would put up with that knowing for the rest of the year I would be in relitive peace, saying all of that, I'm happy in my rented cottage in a Cornish village with a good sized garden and less than 2 miles away from the closest beach. :) P.

A Canal Boat, myself and the good Mrs Merchant Seaman do a lot of canal boating. The most relaxing thing I've ever done. Our plan is to buy one in the next five years. Not so much to live on permanently but a home from home where we can go, chill out, cruise for a day or so and return to our mooring. Anyway (that's) the plan.....
I've always wanted to do canal boating. The only thing that puts me off is that I think I'd be completely inept at piloting it.

Originally from Goole and a one bedroom mid terrace we shared with a whole community of cockroaches who would regularly kidnap children and hold them hostage for the promise of some more turds to live off. Then moved to the the mining villages of South Yorkshire where I learnt the same cockroaches had moved with us.

Now live in a Victorian property close by Liverpool beach (yes we really do have one) with 4 bedrooms which could easily extend to 5. Being as there is only two of us now we appear to have too many bedrooms so instead we have 5 living type spaces/girly room (don't ask what the fuck one of those is because I stay clear of girly spaces)/HiFi room/guitar room/whatever room. I live in the kitchen. And sometimes on the kitchen floor.

Love the house but a nightmare to maintain and the romantic idea of an old cosy solid house soon disappears with the maintenance costs. The main thing though is what we paid for this wouldn't even touch a two bedroom in some parts of the country and even one bedroom apartments in some places.

There is a great spiritual feel about this place and being quite spiritual I feel we share the four floors with some very nice people from the past. And I think they like us.

Just don't mention to the roaches where I moved to

My perfect home? Where I live

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear there's lessons supplied. I fancy doing it when the girls are a little older (~10)
It can be a little boring for the kids admittedly. As you would imagine the views are different around every bend and it's amazing what you see in this great country of ours. Even the industrial parts of the Black Country has its unique charm.

It can be a little boring for the kids admittedly. As you would imagine the views are different around every bend and it's amazing what you see in this great country of ours. Even the industrial parts of the Black Country has its unique charm.
Canal boating is fun for adults, lots of pubs, children are lucky to get a bag of crisps and an old swing in the pub garden.

Canal boating is fun for adults, lots of pubs, children are lucky to get a bag of crisps and an old swing in the pub garden.
I might rethink taking the kids

I might rethink taking the kids
I was taken on a canal boat holiday as a child along with my brother and sister for a week and had a fantastic time and it's one of the family holidays that stick in my mind as being one of the best so don't be too quick to deprive your kids of a real adventure on the water Chris, it can be a lot of fun for the whole family. :) P.

I was taken on a canal boat holiday as a child along with my brother and sister for a week and had a fantastic time and it's one of the family holidays that stick in my mind as being one of the best so don't be too quick to deprive your kids of a real adventure on the water Chris, it can be a lot of fun for the whole family. :) P.
Thanks Paul

All boats come equipped with life jackets Chris and the wildlife around the riverbanks is superb.
Talking about wildlife.........my brother was sitting on the roof of the cabbin looking back while I was at the tiller with my dad, all of a sudden my dad shouted to my brother Duck! My brother was looking from side to side looking for a duck as we approched a very low bridge and my dad shouted No Duck and pulled on his legs causing him to fall back on the roof just as we went under the very low bridge! :)
I laughed so much I nearly wet myself! :) great fun on the waterways. P.

My cousin did the same when we hired a narrow boat on the Norfolk broads, just as we were about to go under a low bridge to the mooring areas she popped her head up in front of the cabin.
I shat myself and shouted DAWN GET DOWN as loud as I could while banging it in reverse, parked up and went to give her a cuddle because I got a fright, she must have seen the shock in my face because she started crying so we all went to the pub to get blootered which was the plan anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom