Your Oldest Soap/Cream

I was having a chat with @BrianH earlier and we were discussing the potential age of soaps and it raised an interesting question (or two):

What's the oldest shaving soap/cream you currently use and what is the longest inservice soap/cream you have (i.e. do you have something you've been using for years)?

I have and use occasionly an Old Spice puck in the original lidded mug and I guess it dates from the 1960s, it's lost nearly all of its scent but the lather it produces is fantastic and I am still using my OSP soaps that I bought in 2016 simply because it's one of the longest lasting soaps next to MdC, no matter how much I use them they do not seem to deminish in size ! I also have two types of Figaro P.160 that get regular use and I guess the are from the 80s :) :) P.

Last edited:
I use one from 1930's, not all the time but I do have it in rotation which see's use once every couple of months I guess.

It's a small little shave stick soap called, "Easy Shaving Stick" made by Lever's Brothers, England

The longest in-service soap I use would be one of my own soaps. Probably 1912 Classic 24

View attachment 48168
1930s!? That's amazing!!

How long has your 1912 been in use for Darren? Gives me hope for my stockpile :LOL:

i have a colgate shave stick in the metal tube ,used a few times ,works great no idea of its age tho, yardley shave stick , boots old english lavender stick & bowl, imperial leather sticks & bowl & finally old spice . the most recent has to 30+ years old ,i reckon

A bit of an off shoot of a question and apologies for going off topic, but I bought a grooming kit that came with a shaving stick (probably from the 50's or 60's?) that smells near enough exactly the same as the Valobra shaving stick. Do you have a stick from the ones above that smells like that? I have a suspicion it might possibly be a Boots Lavender stick.

Aside from that my oldest shaving soap is a tub of Proraso Green I bought from around 3 years ago, from when I first started DE shaving, which seems to be performing much the same as it did to begin with. There's a chance I might even come close to finishing it within 4 years of owning it!

I have and use a Yardley puck which must be late 1960s early 70s, to judge by the fact the pricing on the box is in old money. Also a puck of Canoe soap, from the 1960s, I think, and some Old Spice from the 1970s. All lather excellently, although the scents are a bit faded.

A bit of an off shoot of a question and apologies for going off topic, but I bought a grooming kit that came with a shaving stick (probably from the 50's or 60's?) that smells near enough exactly the same as the Valobra shaving stick. Do you have a stick from the ones above that smells like that? I have a suspicion it might possibly be a Boots Lavender stick.

Aside from that my oldest shaving soap is a tub of Proraso Green I bought from around 3 years ago, from when I first started DE shaving, which seems to be performing much the same as it did to begin with. There's a chance I might even come close to finishing it within 4 years of owning it!
possibly, both of my boots old english lavender sticks are an inch n half in diameter , approx, however picking up a vintage travel shave kit for the shave stick tubes , is how i found my yardley stick , i would guess many suppliers where used ,depending on age ,cost , shop ,where the kit was sold , etc

Back
Top Bottom