Windrose straight razors

I do like to buy British when I can.

Does anyone have any experience of Windrose straight razors? Apparently manufactured in the UK. Heat treated carbon steel. I mean, how bad could they be? Worth trying? Worst case it might be a honing project I guess.

Or does someone have one, and they are actually great?

OP
S
Personally thinking of maybe selling some of my Swedish vintage razors and buying a modern 7/8 or 8/8 razor from Ed Brice or maybe Rigarazor or Koraat as I need new toys to avoid meh! in my shaving :)
I can't recommend Ed Brice enough. The pair I have were great value. I went for quite conservative styling, but I am sorely tempted by some of modern looking razors he has been making recently. Mine both shave magnificently. Very sharp.

I am conservative when it comes to straight razors so no Bling is fine with me, maybe blade only would be ideal not that they are supplied with ugly ones but I enjoy the challenge of making my own.

OP
S
Honed up the Windrose and shaved with it tonight. Set the bevel with a Gwespyr and then put a coticule edge on it. It took a good while and a couple of honing sessions to get it how I wanted it.

The geometry is OK. The metal a bit tinny. Which it's why I wasn't confident about putting a sharper edge on yet. But it shaved OK.

It is an odd little razor. A shorter blade and tang than normal - not by much but enough to feel cramped.

I'll see how it holds its edge over time.

Not British however if you choose his tungsten blade it will , as a lot of people have reported, shave like vintage Sheffield steel, like an old wade n butcher!
Name is Rigarazors, find on eBay , if anybody requires a custom blade I have Sergejs email address! Need to check with him he’s happy for me to give?

OP
S
Not British however if you choose his tungsten blade it will , as a lot of people have reported, shave like vintage Sheffield steel, like an old wade n butcher!
Name is Rigarazors, find on eBay , if anybody requires a custom blade I have Sergejs email address! Need to check with him he’s happy for me to give?
I have seen those on various threads. I would like one.

I have spent waaaaay too much this year and have one more purchase that I'm commitment to.

... But in 2019 I will definitely get one I think.

Top Bottom