why the fuss about Semogue brushes?

First of all I'd like to make it clear that I'm not knocking Semogue brushes at all, I know they have quite a following. Maybe it's just me that I've had trouble with brushes and the Semogue 2000 has been no exception. Though I can't criticise its performance it does seem to be losing the varnish in places. Also why has the price of this brush jumped up another 6'ish quid?

Why the fuss?

I gave my 1305 a couple of good soaks in HOT (albeit not boiling) water and as it soaked some funny coloured waters came out of it. Subsequently it took just over a week to 'break in' with actual use.

For me the 1305 is a lather-demon with either soap or cream. It looks magnificent, it handles beautifully, the boar texture (to me) is wonderful oh and it dries nicely. Cost is not high and it can cater for beginner or old shaver very well.

Apart from that I'm not sure if I like it... ;)

Highly recommend it to anyone.

My 2000 did look nice until the varnish started to flake, maybe water got in under the varnish around the rim, I don't know but like you I agree it lathers with the best of them.

zig zag said:
My 2000 did look nice until the varnish started to flake, maybe water got in under the varnish around the rim, [...]

As you know the 1305 has a painted handle and the water ingress does not seem to apply to it...thank goodness. Nor does it shed bristles.

I love the thought of owning a Simpson 'whatever' but candidly I would struggle to justify the outlay when the Semogue performs so well...for me.

The handles can be suseptible to chips if the brush knocked / dropped. My 1305 got a chip in the paint work. My daughter sorted it with some hobby paint & a coat of clear nail varnish.

That's good i had a complete down on boar brushes because my 2000 took so long to break in, Now that i am a bit more savvy about boar brushes and how long they take to break in i wouldn't mind getting a smaller boar for hard soaps.

slimjim5751 said:
That's good i had a complete down on boar brushes because my 2000 took so long to break in, Now that i am a bit more savvy about boar brushes and how long they take to break in i wouldn't mind getting a smaller boar for hard soaps.

Jim, I use mine variously with stick soap, bowl soap and cream and it comes up trumps every time. My badgers are gathering dust (on reflection that sounds a tad dodgy...).

The individual dimensions of the component parts make it a far better all-round performer than the 2000.

Go on, you know you want to...go on, you know you will in the end.

:lol:

I like variety. It was therefore inevitable that I would try both badger and boar and different price levels. I haven't gone above a hundred, yet. But I have a couple of silvertips. I paid around a tenner for my 1305 before the price hike. When it arrived it was a great excuse for some lather practice. I guess in under 30 minutes of swirling through a variety of soaps and creams it was ready to use in comfort. It really is a delightful little brush. Produces all the lather needed and is great for face lathering. Although a fairly stiff brush,it feels really soft on your face.
If I was setting someone up for shaving, this is the brush I would start them with. It will serve all purposes. And at the price, even now it is a very good buy.

Jim, I second what Blyth Spirit said.

If you are feeling like a "splurge" try the 620 or 1470 as well, they have a 50mm loft. Thats 5mm shorter than than the 1305, 10mm shorter than the 2000.

I am glad to hear that the 2000 is working out for you.

i have a 1520 and the 2000

smell aside, the paint on the 1520 started to flake and chip after the first soak, never dropped or knocked it.
the 2000 is a great brush, slightly better than an Omega 49, still smelt though.

i'm waiting on an 1800 which is the same as a 1305 except the paint job, my experience with the 1520 made me go for the varnished one.

the 1520 & 620 have the same knot but different handle, the 620 looks a lot better but would be way too small for me, 40mm ish tall, that's travel brush size.
the 2000, 1250, 1460 & 1470 all have the same hair grade.
the 1305 & 1800 are also the same.

that should help you pick.

price increase - popularity i guess :roll:

I own the 1305. The only issue I have with it is that the paint has chipped. I've used some clear all-purpose glue over the chips and that seems fine now. Sounds like nail varnish would do the job too.

Before the price hike these brushes were phenomenal value. Now they are still good for the money but I suspect there is some competition in their price range now. If I hadn't got a custom Neocaligatio boar brush waiting for me to unwrap on Christmas day, I'd consider trying one of the larger Semogue brushes.

I know SWIMBO has got me a 2235 super badger from bonds of oxford street for Christmas ( I'm not supposed to know that ) But i think i will get myself a 1305 it looks like a good looking brush, Thanks for the input it has been very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom