Which Vintage DE Razor for Newbie?

Hey everyone. New to the forums.

I still consider myself a DE Razor newbie, been using a Muhle R89 for a year or so and so glad I moved away from the modern fusion/mach 3 razors etc.

I'm thinking of getting and using a vintage DE Razor. I know most of the Gillette ones are pretty good from some of the research I've done but is there any in particular I should try and pick up?

Any good ones that are good for a newbie like me?

Do you want to pick up your game or play it safe? If the latter most anything produced after the introduction of the safety bar in the 1930s (Tech, Superspeed, Adjustables). If the former, an open comb Old Type, New Improved, New, or a 50s Red Tip, the Old Type probably being the most demanding in terms of skill level.

Really what strikes your fancy, there's no rules here .

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Consider a Gillette New. It's open comb, but disregard all the fear mongering that goes with this concept. The New is a very friendly razor to use, gives a very good shave, and as a 3 piece, there's very little that can go wrong.

I also have Gillette Slim (64), which is a fine razor. They tend to cost a little more (expect to be at £40+ for a good example), but their adjustability is a good option for someone who is testing the waters of multi-razor ownership.

It's easy to say this now I have owned a range of vintage razors, but don't get taken away with the idea that a vintage razor has some sort of mystical qualities unavailable in modern production versions. Of course, many vintage razors have very high engineering and productions qualities; this is why they are still usable decades after they were made available. However, there are fabulous shaves to be had with modern and vintage razors if you are looking for a 2nd razor.

If you're going for a second razor, you want something a bit different to your first razor. Do consider a slant (I can't get away from my 37c - just sensational), and if you are feeling adventurous, consider the high quality and value in a SE 1912 Eveready.

Consider a Gillette New. It's open comb, but disregard all the fear mongering that goes with this concept. The New is a very friendly razor to use, gives a very good shave, and as a 3 piece, there's very little that can go wrong.

I also have Gillette Slim (64), which is a fine razor. They tend to cost a little more (expect to be at £40+ for a good example), but their adjustability is a good option for someone who is testing the waters of multi-razor ownership.

It's easy to say this now I have owned a range of vintage razors, but don't get taken away with the idea that a vintage razor has some sort of mystical qualities unavailable in modern production versions. Of course, many vintage razors have very high engineering and productions qualities; this is why they are still usable decades after they were made available. However, there are fabulous shaves to be had with modern and vintage razors if you are looking for a 2nd razor.

If you're going for a second razor, you want something a bit different to your first razor. Do consider a slant (I can't get away from my 37c - just sensational), and if you are feeling adventurous, consider the high quality and value in a SE 1912 Eveready.
+1 regarding a ER 1912 SE, a great razor for not a lot of money.

I've got a Gillette aluminium tech for sale from the 1960's... Does that count as 'vintage' or would that offend some people here? ;)

It's a great mild shaver though and easy to use, nice and lightweight. £9 at your door! :p I'll even chuck in a couple blades if you're a newbie! :p

In seriousness though, there's a huge number of razors from 'ye olde days' which do an admirable job! I've got a Gillette Rocket HD which needs a bit more air time before I can make a proper decision on it but it's a great shaver too! :)

be adventurous skip DE and go for vintage Injector and Gem SE and finally of course Straight Razor :)
I went for the straight razor off the bat and thereafter went to DE shaving! Not as scary as it might seem. :) If anything, it gives you respect for the razor by the buckets and makes DE shaving a true pleasure thereafter!

Back
Top Bottom