What's are your top 5 aftershaves and why?

im down to three. proraso, 4711 and alcolado glacial. ive used many others, but this is what i prefer and i cant see it changing.

more often than not ill use myrsol emulsion to finish off. sometimes i go for proraso though, its pretty much the perfect aftershave for me. now and again im drawn to 4711 when i fancy some citrus. the glacial gets used in very warm weather.

What's are your top 5 aftershaves and why?
Let's wind back a bit first and start with an introduction.

Welcome to TSR! I'm Boycie83 and I live in the wonderful county of Devon in the UK. Who do we have the pleasure of talking to as the OP?

Current top 5 aftershaves in no particular order:

Floïd Vigaroso - performance and cooling
Proraso Red - performance
RazoRock XXX - scent (makes me want to mount myself)
Williams A/V - a good balance of everything
TGS Abysso - see XXX above

One of these is likely to be dethroned once I've tried a splash from @BrianH though

Fine make fantastic aftershave but they are very expensive now.

1. Fine performance, the scent last reasonably well
2. PAA performance and the scent on some of them can linger all day.
3. Sterling, nearly as good PAA.
4. Proraso, love the scent of Proraso red and performs well on the skin, scent doesn't linger very long though.
5. Pacco Raban, I've used it all my life so it has to be in any of my lists.

Let's wind back a bit first and start with an introduction.

Welcome to TSR! I'm Boycie83 and I live in the wonderful county of Devon in the UK. Who do we have the pleasure of talking to as the OP?

Current top 5 aftershaves in no particular order:

Floïd Vigaroso - performance and cooling
Proraso Red - performance
RazoRock XXX - scent (makes me want to mount myself)
Williams A/V - a good balance of everything
TGS Abysso - see XXX above

One of these is likely to be dethroned once I've tried a splash from @BrianH though
I'll have to live up that, no pressure @Boycie83

You'll see a theme here ... I like really alcoholic, leaving a dry feeling. Anything oily or feeding (like Floid or Myrsol) leaves me feeling clammy.

1. Pashana Original - Love it! Love the scent, love the healing feeling and love the ongoing dry feel.
2. Rose of Bulgaria - Cooling and drying. Soothing.
3. Ach Brito Lavande - Really fly fougere! Again, it's the dry feeling ...
4. Clubman - Classic scent. Drying and slightly anaesthetising to my skin.
5. Pinaud Lilac Vegetal - My "good luck" splash at fencing competitions :)

I don't have many others - I have the other Clubman scents, a full range of Brut, a vintage Gillette Cool Wave, some vintage Aramis Aramis and YSL Kouros, I keep in both aftershave and EDT Puig Quorum and I have a special bottle of vintage Old Spice. Jovan Musk, coz the Mrs loves it!

Are Williams Aqua Velva and Aqua Velva Ice Blue two different lotions or are they the same but branded differently? This is the one I've got:

View attachment 54088

Here's my review copy pasted from another forum...

EU vs US - Rumble in the... Bathroom?

48726603721_4bf8fb7d11_z.jpg

Very interesting. Scent out of the bottle is quite different, EU smells like a refreshing Cologne whereas US smells like a mixture of rubbing alcohol and domestic cleaning product... I suspect this is due to the plastic bottle which has the same awful effect on Pinaud aftershaves.

Once applied the EU remains a light, bright, powdery citrus which comes out all guns blazing and is quite potent for 5 minutes before disappearing over the next hour. The US has a somewhat similar scent once applied but the citrus is overpowered by a blast of mint which dominates for a couple of minutes, this is very different from the EU version which has no mint. After the mint dies down the scent is 80-90% identical to the EU version just darker (like the liquid colours I guess.) Menthol content feels the same, the US version has the better face feel for my skin but that is very much YMMV depending on skin type and preference.

They are truly brothers and the end result is a draw in my opinion. Both great products and for the low cost it's worth owning both versions as they each offer a slightly different take on the same scent.

View attachment 54090

Very interesting. Scent out of the bottle is quite different, EU smells like a refreshing Cologne whereas US smells like a mixture of rubbing alcohol and domestic cleaning product... I suspect this is due to the plastic bottle which has the same awful effect on Pinaud aftershaves.

Once applied the EU remains a light, bright, powdery citrus which comes out all guns blazing and is quite potent for 5 minutes before disappearing over the next hour. The US has a somewhat similar scent once applied but the citrus is overpowered by a blast of mint which dominates for a couple of minutes, this is very different from the EU version which has no mint. After the mint dies down the scent is 80-90% identical to the EU version just darker (like the liquid colours I guess.) Menthol content feels the same, the US version has the better face feel for my skin but that is very much YMMV depending on skin type and preference.

They are truly brothers and the end result is a draw in my opinion. Both great products and for the low cost it's worth owning both versions as they each offer a slightly different take on the same scent.
A very thorough answer! Thanks James.

View attachment 54090

Yes, thank you great review. Thats the exact one I have , I also picked up some skin bracer which is a very natural shade of green but feels great on the face.

TOBS Eton - Not a great fan of most TOBS products but for some reason the Eton is one wonderful old school scent. Probably in this case...... Eton

Penhaligon's Bayolea - Fresh, fragrant and lasting. Matches their wonderful soap superbly

Extro Arancia - Because I love orange scents and this one is simply boss (not to be confused here with Boss Orange)

Alvarez Gomez Barberia - Think it is supposed to be a Cologne but to me I use it as a splash and effing brilliant. Straight out of a 1920's barber shop. Only works with a white shirt

4711 - More orange but cleverly created for a million different uses. Freshens up rooms, furniture and just about anything else. Cheap as buggery for what it is and what it can do

Eau Sauvage - classy citrus

Dunhill Fresh - it's in the name

Floid Mentolado Vigoroso - cooling & fragrant

Brut Original - old school man's smell

Blue Stratos - as above

All suit my skin and readily available (except Dunhill Fresh) , which seems to be harder to source

Back
Top Bottom