What would you recommend as a second DE razor?

I have the DE89 but was thinking of buying another one, something either slightly more aggressive or even an adjustable.

What would you recommend and would an adjustable be the way to go? Thanks for any help

Not so sure about an adjustable. Those I have had were never adjusted outside of find your setting and leave be. In the case of the Futur the head was too large to be practical from my point of view.

A Seygus would be an ideal step up the ladder. A more aggressive slant on the shaving side but with a smooth approach. A 'hard to get it wrong' razor.

Not everlasting razors, but the Merkur Progress adjustables (long and short handle versions) are decent razors. The really nice ones are the modified Digress (UK) and Mergress (USA), but they come at a price.

A lot depends on what you want to spend, and in which country you live. There are a lot of good razors out there that might fit your bill; some modestly priced (comparatively) and some a lot more expensive. Have you any particular budget in mind?

You'll get a lot of different suggestions here. I've used adjustable and moved on - my Gillette Slim and Merkur Progress are on the BST. Nothing wrong with adjustable as such, but I like to choose my handles. They're an important part of the razor for me, so I stay with 3-piece razors. The DE89 has the 2 stud fitting used by a large number of razors and if you stay with this fitting you can swap handles, top caps and base plates. I moved from safety bar razors to open comb razors, which I prefer the feel and design of. So for "more efficient" you have a Gillette Old Type and its clones and the Fatip open combs like the Grande, Retro and Piccolo. All very nice indeed for around £20 and made of solid brass as well.

Are you interested in Frankenrazors? These are 3-piece razors made up of different parts. Thread here:

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/frankenrazor-february.560454/

My best Frankenrazor so far is my Franken Muhle R41, smooth and very efficient. Yintal Bronze top cap (razor was $12 on AliExpress) and Yaqi Matte Black handle (razor was £13.99 on eBay from UK). This combination works with a R41 head, Fatip head, Gillette Old Type head etc. It will also work with your DE89 head and will raise the weight and should make it slightly more efficient. I'm getting great shaves with this combination using Astra SP blades. Top cap and handle are brass and very solid, and total weight is 99g.

R41+Yaqi.jpgR41+Yaqi1.jpg

I agree with Chris above, depends on your budget and what you feel your next razor should do better.

I started with a DE89, then bought a bunch of vintage Gillettes - none of which I really love (looking for a NEW to try next) - but the Rockwell 6C and now the 6S felt like a totally natural step up for me.

All good suggestions so far. I started with an EJ DE89lbl which I still have and is in rotation. My second razor after that was a Muhle R41 (2013) and I spent a good amount of time perfecting my technique with that razor. Love it and still in rotation. I also have 42 razors to choose from so it really comes down to what you want to do, your beard type, frequency of shaves etc. I could gladly live with any of my Techs and be quite happy.

Back
Top Bottom