What to choose...

Hi all.

I moved to a safety razor, from Mach3, because of price and was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't only cheaper but gave a much more pleasant shave. Years into the safety razor routine, I find my satisfaction is waning, due to having to make too many passes.

I have a Merkur 38C, on a long handle and am currently using Vokshod blades. I chose this razor because it hit the middle-ground between aggressiveness and ease of use.

For fewer passes, I know I'll need a more aggressive set-up. Not willing to throw money at a variety of razors, has anyone got any experience of closer shaves?

P ;-)

Hi Hullster, how about an adjustable such as a Merkur Progress, which allows you to try out various settings and crank it up as muchly as you desire.
Not sure if it's still available, however at one time there was a long handled variant if you prefer the extra length.

Johnny0. 0/.

I got a long handled Progress off Ebay a few weeks ago for £26. It was boxed and used only 5 times.

I'd not generally buy 2nd hand but at that price and condition I made an exception and very happy with it. The ability to tailor the shave is great, I'm sticking with adjustables now.

Hi all.

I moved to a safety razor, from Mach3, because of price and was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't only cheaper but gave a much more pleasant shave. Years into the safety razor routine, I find my satisfaction is waning, due to having to make too many passes.

I have a Merkur 38C, on a long handle and am currently using Vokshod blades. I chose this razor because it hit the middle-ground between aggressiveness and ease of use.

For fewer passes, I know I'll need a more aggressive set-up. Not willing to throw money at a variety of razors, has anyone got any experience of closer shaves?

P ;-)
move to electric.

If you are up to trying an R41 then go for it, but do be aware it will happily slice chunks off your face unless you are totally happy with your technique.

My recommendation would be for a brass Karve razor with a D plate. Available from Executive shaving and a really great moving up the ladder razor. For around £90 they really are wonderful value in the long run. I have one with a C plate and a little on the mild side for me. I will have to get a D one day.

If you want effing aggressive then try an Ikon B1. They make 41's look suitable for my granddaughters to play with

Last edited:
Not cheap, but a Timeless 0.68 either open comb or SB will give closer shaves with less passes than your 38C (Not to say that the 38C isn't a good razor. I had one for about a year, and it was very good at it's job.

Vintage adjustable razors, such as Gillette Fanboy or Slim are good shavers

Merkur Progress, as already mentioned could fit the bill and won't cost a kings ransom

Multi plate razors - Rockwell 6C /6S are also very good

Merkur Futur is a good adjustable, but can be a bit of a beast at higher settings
I used one exclusively for around seven years

Homelike Start, a new Russian made razor is another that is gaining high praise on the forums of late.
Different base plates of varying blade gaps are available

The list is endless, but what works for someone else might not suit you . . .

One last thing . . . . . Don't go electric . . . .

Given my experience with the 38C and the price, I opted for the slightly more aggressive Merkur 25 C (Open Comb).

Definitely fewer strokes but the end result is only fractionally closer. The closeness was never really the issue; it is the number of passes that brings up any inflammation (very rare now I've left cassette razors behind anyway).

I think I'm happy. For now. Just have to decide which blades ride the 25 best; especially as I've never gotten on with the Merkur blades this thing has been shipped with.

Tried electric twice - once foil, once rotating heads. Tuggy, not shavey and rash inducing. Never again.

I love and heartily recommend the EJ 3ONE6 for the perfect balance of aggression vs mildness (I use 3 passes in general FWIW)

I love and heartily recommend the EJ 3ONE6 for the perfect balance of aggression vs mildness (I use 3 passes in general FWIW)

Thank you! I wasn't in that price bracket but I HAVE been looking at EJ - perhaps a Christmas gift to myself.

I've been shaving for the past few weeks with ATT R1. Ecpensive, but very well made. Perfect blade alignment. Superbly comfortable and close shave after 2 passes plus touch up. I can't praise this razor enough.

Back
Top Bottom