What razor do you travel with?

Tonight I asked myself "Which one?" as I considered my options for this years holiday shave kit. Every year I seem to take a different razor for different reasons. I have taken the HD for its tank like qualities only to find it all arrived in tact.

I once took the Futur because at that point I thought I liked the idea of having an adjustable so I can dial down if my skin gets a bit irritated. I did not really need an adjustable because I look after my skin and it rarely gets irritated from shaving these days.

I have also taken a three piece because they are simple and can be compacted but the weight and space gain is minimal.

My question is does anyone have a specific set they take every year? (Razor/Blade and cream or soap stick) I will eventually pick one by process of elimination but I was just curious to see what variety of kit we all lug around.

Trips for business or pleasure, I generally take something that I wouldn't be too hacked off about losing if the baggage is going to be separated from me (I had 2 DE razors stolen from checked in bags at Frankfurt airport on separate occasions - I know not officially removed because they leave a card to tell you they've been through the skidmarked keks - luckily both were grotty Techs that cost me well under a fiver) , or if my washbag is going to be in my control the whole time my 1965 SlimTwist

If I'm travelling for just a few days then either BIC disposables or whatever old cartridge crap I have lying about. I just can't bear to throw them away unused. For a longer trip I'd probably go for a SuperSpeed; decent enough razor and if it got lost I wouldn't be too upset.

I suppose thats why I have tended to take the Merkurs they are still in production and can be bought again. I may just take one of them again or perhaps a Tech, I have a few that i would not be devastated to loose. Peeved but not devastated.

I always shave with a straight however if I’m in the UK and have a secure place to keep my razor I take my 1967 (Birth Razor) slim if going abroad I take my old Gillette contour that I have had for the last 15 years. If it goes missing I wouldn’t be bothered it is the only time that I shave with it. I have never took a straight on holiday I think that is because if I lost one I would be gutted and also taking a strop isn’t the most convenient thing in the world. I always take some nice soap and an old badger brush that I have had for ages.

Aluminium tech, because I'd be mortified to lose the Aristocrat Jr. or the Fatboy. That said, I'm vaguely thinking about getting a Gillette travel razor for the cuteness factor, in which case that would go in the washbag. What's putting me off is that 4 razors might constitute a collection, and I've no intention of succumbing to that temptation.

Have just ordered a Merkur Travel for an up coming holiday. Can't wait for it to arrive to try it out.
Oh, and a new alum block, my GF dropped mine :roll:

C

BiC disposable for me

i think the main reason is the same as others have said, i'd be well pissed off it any of my decent razors got lost and/or damaged.

grandad's old boar brush and a shave stick to go with them, plus an a/s in a plastic bottle/atomiser

Interesting hando, you find the fixed head disposables OK?

If I have to go down the disposable route I tend to go for blue 2 (or whatever the ones with a slight swivel on the head are called) but I must try some of the Bics as the ladies of the house have some in a tub in the bathroom.

Now that would be justice...I am going to use one to shave and then use it to shave the concrete slabs on the patio and then put it back in the tub for them ;) Actually I don't think I will but it would be sweet revenge from the days when I used a sensor/mach3 and they "borrowed it" without telling me.

I travel with a Tech because it weighs nothing and folds flat, a 18mm travel brush in a tube that I bought at Maitlands donkeys years ago and decant whatever cream is at hand into a one an half inch by two screw-top plastic jar.

P.S. If you don't have a Tech try a Polish LUX.

" Interesting hando, you find the fixed head disposables OK? "

so far so good, i must say the Blue 2's work a little better though but they're still a fixed head.

i did try the BiC Metals (some left) after they we're hyped on B+B as the nearest disposable to a DE, basically they're as wide as a DE blade with a metal safety bar, but the quality wasn't that consistant.
about one duffer per pack.

but whatever you do DO NOT get Wilkinson Sword Extra 2's

no matter the offer in Boots
these are twin blade disposables that have a little plastic bar you use to push out cream/soap/hair from between the blades.

these things are utter plop, nothing will give you razor burn or clog quicker.

i gave all of them to my old man - FREE :eek:

Those WS sound brutal, thanks I hadn't intended pick any up but that puts the tin hat on it. The Blue ones I have do have a slight pivot (a couple of mm) on the head so perhaps they aren't Blue II's at all, whatever they are they are OK and my prefered choice for a disposable.

So both them and the Bic's are as good as it gets in disposable world, perhaps we are a bit snotty at disposables, they do have their place and I would never totally rubbish them as I know one day I may need to use one if caught out.

Back
Top Bottom