What is a "Cut throat shavette"

Cut throat means straight razor right?
And shavette means disposable blades?
I just ordered the bluebeards revenge cut throat shavette. Doesn't that mean that it is sharp like a straight razor but you can also use blades on them?

I'm kinda confused. Thanks in advance for any help.

Yeah, I get that, but thats just the shavette part tho right? Where does the straight razor part come in?
Shavette is a German trademark used for various products most recently Dovo.
It doesn't rhyme with Corvette. More Shahwetter...
Certain products are specifically Sifters.

Simple answer, dangerous, liable to maim injury or remove body parts. Impo crap.
Personally i would buy a straight razor, get it honed by a proffesional and learn how to strop and shave with this, as its sharp yet more forgiving than a lightweight bouncy razor that will jump on you skin, if you havent mastered a good lather, and dig in deap when a mistake is made.
Just my honest opinion you understand.

I wouldn't use one, unless you like the Prussian officer look. If you must use a disposable straight an Artist Club or clone are the best, followed by cabinet blade shavettes/sifters.

I am using shavettes aka straight razors with disposable blades and I prefer the standard 40mm DE blades over the longer 60mm DE blades.
_DSC2913.jpg

I am using shavettes aka straight razors with disposable blades and I prefer the standard 40mm DE blades over the longer 60mm DE blades.
View attachment 53266

Shavettes are never imo also known as straight razors in any fashion or form, both are as far apart as a DE and a cart. They are intended to "look similar" but that is where it ends, I have used both from the feather dx, the Dovo, and the parker stainless steel, ( still have the parker and dovo) out them all the feather was best imo, and the parker next coz of the nice weight and balance, the Dovo was far too lightweight, in fact I will put them up for sale coz I never use them, I am a solely SR man now and I cannot see that changing, I continue to gather them on a daily or weekly basis, I love the whole straight thing from the prep, stropping, honing etc..etc.. the shavettes gave me a lesson on how to hold a straight, and especially in my weaker hand, but overall when I changed to the SR I then found the SR blade to be massive compared to the small shavette, so maybe the shavette effort was not really worth it.

Cut throat means straight razor right?
And shavette means disposable blades?
I just ordered the bluebeards revenge cut throat shavette. Doesn't that mean that it is sharp like a straight razor but you can also use blades on them?

I'm kinda confused. Thanks in advance for any help.
The "cut throat" bit refers to an open blade on your neck - not usually a term used for disposable blade shavette style razors, but I guess it sounds pirate-y, and the brand is Bluebeards Revenge.

Shavette has been explained by many others above.

There was no mention of "straight razor" in the original title. That would be one with a fixed blade that must be sharpened.

Back
Top Bottom