What Are Your Favourite Internet Radio Stations?

I love radio particularly FM radio, but lately I have been scanning the world tuning-in via internet radio apps. I have previously used TuneIn and several others but did not like the interface, recently I discovered a new internet radio app "Radio Garden" http://www.radio.garden/visit/london/0eZoYyEW. What a clean, useful app. It shows a spinning earth with a dizzying amount of radio stations marked on each country. It works very well, so much so that I have purchased a bluetooth box to plug into my 1980's Hi-Fi so that I can stream internet radio direct from my phone or laptop to my Hi-Fi. I went for iFI's Zen Blue high resolution wireless streamer; I fear I maybe embracing digital! Lately, a few internet radio stations I have been enjoying are:

FIP (based in Paris, mostly Jazz)
NTS (based in London eclectic mix)

And many independent radio stations out of Algeria...just wonderful and very atmospheric, a real find...

What are your favourite internet radio stations?' any brilliants finds?

Last edited:
I love radio particularly FM radio, but lately I have been scanning the world tuning-in via internet radio apps. I have previously used TuneIn and several others but did not like the interface, recently I discovered a new internet radio app "Radio Garden" http://www.radio.garden/visit/london/0eZoYyEW. What a clean, useful app. It shows a spinning earth with a dizzying amount of radio stations marked on each country. It works very well, so much so that I have purchased a bluetooth box to plug into my 1980's Hi-Fi so that I can stream internet radio direct from my phone or laptop to my Hi-Fi. I went for iFI's Zen Blue high resolution wireless streamer; I fear I maybe embracing digital! Lately, a few internet radio stations I have been enjoying are:

And many independent radio stations out of Algeria...just wonderful and very atmospheric, a real find...

Just downloaded the app, thank you for the heads up.

I love listening to the radio. Although not internet, I listen to R2 or 5 Live when I'm driving. When I'm out walking the dog I'll stick my ears in and listen to anything at all so the above app will be really useful. I deleted Tune in as I didn't find it useful at all. I've always thought about starting a radio thread on here but I don't have to now.
When I was at sea I used to run a long wire from a shortwave receiver in my cabin and out of the porthole and up to the funnel . There was always something fascinating about pulling in the World Service whilst in the middle of the Atlantic or the Pacific.
If you had a good receiver with USB/LSB the possibilities were endless. Sorry I'm reminiscing. Happy days.

I love listening to the radio. Although not internet
Same as you mate - I have a couple of - very nice - DAB radios - one in the kitchen - one in my bedroom - mostly I'm happy with - during the night - the World Service - about as sensible a news feed as you get these days - Radio 4Extra - and FiveLive - when there is a test match on. Incidentally - I couldn't give a toss - a full toss? - about cricket - I don't understand the rules - but I love the commentary. I do have the BBC Sounds app on my phone - which - when used - is fed to a blue tooth speaker. I'm old enough too - to have experienced the thrill of a Sony SW radio - it cost a fucking fortune! - when travelling - far from the beaten path - the antenna attached to whatever you could find - and getting a good BBC signal. The world was bigger and smaller at the same time. It was also a safety thing - the Pashtu service - where are the Taliban now? - where can we get a road out safely? Radio is great - I haven't owned a television for a significant number of years. Yours - I.

@Missoni

Last edited:
Yes Ian I fully understand that. My first radio was a Sony 2001D and it was an absolute beauty, it pulled in signals from all over the place. I was particularly interested in the old number stations which still exist today and are still an enigma (no pun intended) today.

Yes Ian I fully understand that. My first radio was a Sony 2001D and it was an absolute beauty, it pulled in signals from all over the place. I was particularly interested in the old number stations which still exist today and are still an enigma (no pun intended) today.
The echo lives on - https://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs28.htm
Radio operator's watch. Analogue radio has to a large degree - gone the same way as lighthouses - controlled by satellites these days. Finding that you have a signal on your mobile - in the middle of nowhere - given - I have gone to great effort - to be away from things - I don't want a mobile signal - I can use a map and compass - I don't want GPS - anyway - it will never equal the pleasure - of winding out a 10M antenna for your radio - and hearing - this is London calling - must be an age thing. :) . I.

The echo lives on - https://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs28.htm
Radio operator's watch. Analogue radio has to a large degree - gone the same way as lighthouses - controlled by satellites these days. Finding that you have a signal on your mobile - in the middle of nowhere - given - I have gone to great effort - to be away from things - I don't want a mobile signal - I can use a map and compass - I don't want GPS - anyway - it will never equal the pleasure - of winding out a 10M antenna for your radio - and hearing - this is London calling - must be an age thing. :) . I.

Had a wonderful Panasonic SW radio in the 1980's but my staple for many a decade was a simple Sony srf-39 (the little walkman am/fm radio) that took a single AA battery and delivered about 14 hours of listening. I still have it and it still works although the tuning wheel is a little sticky and needs a clean, but I am hesitant to take it apart. The federal prison issue of this radio (clear plastic) as well as the stock model have become somewhat collectible now. I still find this analogue radio has oodles of utility and I currently hunting down an old Sagean analogue model with a similar design.

1597789246802.png

I recall reading that they could be modified to pick-up SW but I can not recall the article now. I also remember the absolute scandalous situation that all mobile phones could easily be configured to pick-up FM radio but this feature was deliberately not "switched on" to encourage data use. There were Senate hearings on the issue but they came to nowt. Sad.

Thanks, this is a really useful app, great find:)

Same as you mate - I have a couple of - very nice - DAB radios - one in the kitchen - one in my bedroom - mostly I'm happy with - during the night - the World Service - about as sensible a news feed as you get these days - Radio 4Extra - and FiveLive - when there is a test match on. Incidentally - I couldn't give a toss - a full toss? - about cricket - I don't understand the rules - but I love the commentary. I do have the BBC Sounds app on my phone - which - when used - is fed to a blue tooth speaker. I'm old enough too - to have experienced the thrill of a Sony SW radio - it cost a fucking fortune! - when travelling - far from the beaten path - the antenna attached to whatever you could find - and getting a good BBC signal. The world was bigger and smaller at the same time. It was also a safety thing - the Pashtu service - where are the Taliban now? - where can we get a road out safely? Radio is great - I haven't owned a television for a significant number of years. Yours - I.

@Missoni

I'm a sucker for television, it's my drug of choice sadly. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I spend far too much watching sport on tv.

As for listening to cricket on radio and not having much of an interest, I occasionally quite like to listen to the darts on radio as I find it fascinating how the commentators do their very best to describe a very visual sport.

I have my own (ridiculously extensive) collection of Jazz, Blues, Soul, Reggae, World Music, etc. so I don't tune in to Internet Radio Stations all that often. One that I have listened to from time to time is Radio Paradise out of California, a commercial-free station with an eclectic DJ-mixed playlist, leaning mostly towards Rock.

Paradise, you may recall, was the town that was all but destroyed - along with its adjacent communities - in the 2018 California wildfires.

One that I have listened to from time to time is Radio Paradise out of California, a commercial-free station with an eclectic DJ-mixed playlist, leaning mostly towards Rock.
Fair play - tuned in - its pretty good - thank you - effortless these days - Spotify and decent ear buds. No more damaging a vinyl record again. I do think that - over the years - the standard - of the rolling of spliffs - joints - if you prefer - has diminished - the preparation space - went the wrong way from the introduction of cds - not enough space. Awful - you want your triple sleeve - prog rock classic. Proper number. None of the above is true - enjoy your radio - one and all - I.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom