What Am I Missing?

Treet carbon steel. They're perfect for a one time bbs shave.
Remember, stainless steel blades are coated.
It takes a few passes to scrape off the coating, so the next few shaves are usually better.
The carbon steels are not coated, so your'e directly on the blade edge from the first shave.

Treet carbon steel. They're perfect for a one time bbs shave.
Remember, stainless steel blades are coated.
It takes a few passes to scrape off the coating, so the next few shaves are usually better.
The carbon steels are not coated, so your'e directly on the blade edge from the first shave.
i work in the oil industry and steel is my sort of thing
sort of speak. carbon is one of the softest & most corrosive steel you can get,
now don't get me wrong i'm not saying carbon blades are any worse than any other but i wouldn't presume they would last anywhere near a treated blade

All of those shave nicely, no need to try everything ever made, work on shaving for a while before switching too many things.

Agree. I'd look to focus on a few of those to begin with (Astra SP, Vosk, Tiger) and on the grounds they work with the razor in question I'd work on improving my technique before moving up to the sharper blades in the selection (Feather, Permasharp, Polsilver).

Btw, the Feathers in both packets are the same blade, they just have different coloured packs.

thanks lads. yes the Yellow is 10 & black is 5 in the feather. i think your all right i need to learn technique before i decide what blade i prefer. i just wanted a good selection of recommendations so i knew where to start. i am waiting on the Nacet coming but after that i'm seine with blades until iv decided what's good for me. at the moment i'm shaving every two days just to try get it right.
i think the feather As d2 is a bit more tricky as you have to hold it at 45 degrees as apposed to 30-35.
so far iv only used two blades
Personna & Voskhod. i know a lot of people swear by the personna but so far the Voskhod has been the best out the two but then again maybe my technique is getting better

What are you missing? At least another 100 of each of those. I don't know how you can sleep at night without the comfort blanket of knowing you've enough blades to take you in to the next century!

On a serious note though, you've chosen a good spread of manufacturers and I'm convinced you'll find a few among that selection you'll really like.

I seem to be one of the few that have never gotten on with Personna Platinum Chrome's (Israeli Reds)

I find voskhod aren't super sharp but they refuse to irritate my delicate neck even if I'm sloppy with my technique. I could probably shave with boxing gloves on and get an irritation free shave with a voskhod, but the next guy probably hates them.

Blades are really subjective, have fun and if a blade doesn't work toss it in a drawer and return to it in a few months.

What are you missing? At least another 100 of each of those. I don't know how you can sleep at night without the comfort blanket of knowing you've enough blades to take you in to the next century!

On a serious note though, you've chosen a good spread of manufacturers and I'm convinced you'll find a few among that selection you'll really like.

I seem to be one of the few that have never gotten on with Personna Platinum Chrome's (Israeli Reds)
hahahaha agreed, men in general can't buy enough ah lol. my first DE razor is the feather AS-D2s. i bought that thinking i won't want another one

i was wrong lol

I find voskhod aren't super sharp but they refuse to irritate my delicate neck even if I'm sloppy with my technique. I could probably shave with boxing gloves on and get an irritation free shave with a voskhod, but the next guy probably hates them.

Blades are really subjective, have fun and if a blade doesn't work toss it in a drawer and return to it in a few months.
yeah i'll do that. i'm off to Norway on sunday for six weeks in a hotel so plenty time on my own to experiment

Actually, anything that you don't like now you should try again in a year or so, you'd be amazed how your opinion will change once all this becomes old hat.

Don't try and push the blade for one more shave, they are cheap and it is not worth it when starting out, you will learn when you need a new blade before it becomes a problem, I would honestly do 3 shaves and bin it, get your consistency and confidence up, as you progress you might get 6 shaves out one blade, everyone is slightly different, but 100% knowing your blade is as sharp as possible gives you a feel for that blade...don't wait till it pulls and cuts you .

Back
Top Bottom