What’s everyone’s process

Mine varies depending on time.

Kids in bed, wife watching Eastenders shave:
(Approx 30 mins)
Soak a nice 2 band badger
Pick a nice soap, razor, blade
Hop in the shower, gentle but thorough face scrub
I'm not always a preshave product guy but in the summer I use some lovely prickly pear menthol pre shave
Tip badger water, fill sink, dip brush for 10s, shake excess & load for a minute or two
Wash off preshave if I've used it, scrape any extra lather off the puck and massage into face with a bit of water
Face lather for a few minutes until it's creamy, thick and slick
1st pass WTG, empty sink, wash face, clean sink of stubble
2nd lather
2nd pass XTG, wash face
3rd lather
3rd pass ATG
Wet face and touch up any missed stubble (always the same spots)
Empty sink, rinse face
Squeeze excess lather from brush and apply to face
Clean up sink, rinse brush, take apart razor, clean razor, rinse blade, rinse lather from soap puck
Wash lather off face, leave face wet
Dry brush, razor and blade - leave brush and soap out to dry for a day, razor put away and blade chucked or put back in wrapper
Dab face with towel, apply balm, apply AS
Feel BBS face with hands for a few hours

Quick morning shave:
(Approx 10 mins)
Grab synth brush, soap, razor & blade
Shower
Fill sink
Wet face
Dip brush for 10s
Shake 4 times
Load for a minute
Face lather for a few minutes
1st pass WTG, rinse face
2nd lather
2nd pass XTG
Clean up pass using residual slickness or added water with hand
Rinse face, squeeze excess lather and apply to face
Empty sink, rinse brush, razor, soap, clean sink, rinse face
Dry brush, razor and blade, put soap and brush out to dry for a day, put away razor
Apply balm and/or AS

I enjoy all my shaves but obviously prefer it when I can spend half hour of man time :)

1. Wash face with proper bar soap. This makes a significant difference in my shave. My stubble is left clean and fully hydrated, ready for my razor. I can't understate this. Try it for yourself.
2. Face lather. I am a wet head. Shaving soap is supposed to (and does) work better when fully hydrated.
3. 3 pass shave
4. Touchups
5. If it is a rough shave, I'll use an alum block
6. Aftershave splash
7. Balm.
8. Get narked at discovering I missed spots
9. Be amazed as those spots disappear and my BBS develops by itself...

Strange thing this wet shaving lark...

1. Shower or warm water splashed on face. Place brush in warm water in sink. ENJOY.

2. Face wash - currently using Nivea Facial Wash.

3. Rinse with warm water (not hot). Leave face wet.

4. Pre-shave - currently using Nuage Shave Oil.

5. Bowl lather with brush. Apply lather for a minute or 2. ENJOY. Admire the fragrance.

6. Shave WTG (rinsing razor under hot water when required).

7. Warm water rinse, lather then shave XTG.

8. Warm water rinse, lather then shave ATG.

9. Warm water rinse noting any areas that require attention.

10. Lather then touch ups. Once done, squeeze remaining lather out brush and apply over face. Leave this on whilst I clean up. ENJOY.

11. Cold water rinse. Pat dry. Aftershave balm. Apply EDT anywhere other than shaved skin.

12. ENJOY!

[emoji482]

Last edited:
My routine, takes around 25 mins:

1/ Fill sink with warm water.
2/ Place razor, brush, and blade (leave in wrapper) in sink.
3/ Shower.
4/ Remove blade from wrapper, (now easy) place in razor.
5/ Shake excess water from brush.
6/ Face lather with soap / cream of choice.
7/ 3 pass shave, rinse between passes. Note: Fa Tip OC - 2 pass only.
8/ Squeeze 'left over' soap / cream from brush, apply to 'touch up' areas by hand, and... touch up.
9/ Final rinse - using cold water.
10/ Dry face, liberally apply aftershave of choice / balm if required.
11/ Feel good!

Is there any benefits for using cold water? Or is it just personal preference?
My skin seems to get along with the cold water shave and it's beem refreshing in this hot weather we have been having, everyone to their own method and what works for me may not work for you but its worth a try to see if your skin benefits from the cold water. :) P.

Rinse face with cold water/pre-shave soap/sometimes hot shower before but I don't think it works that well for me
Face Lather
3 Passes WTG XTG ATG
Wet face between passes and rub any excess soap into face
Touch up with excess soap from brush
Face rinse with cold water
Towel off and apply witch hazel to slightly damp face
Wait 5 mins
Aftershave
Wait 15/20 mins at least if I have the time
Aftershave Balm

Try to let the products sink in, seems to help with a less sticky/gloopy feel at the end.

Is there any benefits for using cold water? Or is it just personal preference?[/QUOTE

I started using cold water for rinses between passes and razor rinsing; also for rinsing off soap before drying/alum/witch hazel. Whether it was coincidence or that my technique improved coterminously I'm at a loss to say; but any redness/rash ceased from that point in.

What's everything's process when having a shave, mines is below if anyone has any tips or advice please let me know

Hot towel
Rinse face with hot water
Pre shave oil & beard oil
Put foam on and leave
Pass 1
Relather
Pass 2
Relather
Pass 3
Put shaving towel in cold water and put on neck
Post shave cream

Cool water wash

Warm water to soak brush (usually a synth; it takes seconds)

Damp brush into soap pot; swirl for about 30 seconds (depending on soap

Face lather

WTG, XTG, ATG (only first two if using Feather AC Kamisori)

Cold water rinsing and re-lathering in between

Squidge remnants of soap from brush onto hands and work into face; checking for areas that need touching up

Leave soap on face whilst cleaning razor and brush

Cold rinse, alum, cold rinse again

Pat face dry

Apply witch hazel

After shave once dried in

EdC/EdT/ EdP of choice...

I guess like quite a few others much is dependant upon how much time is free. If not enough then I won't even bother as I find a rushed shave just doesn't feel satisfactory.

Given time to hand my usual would be:

Lather up the cream in a bowl
Leave razor to stand in hot water
Shower or bath
A good facial wash with a quality soap and massage face at same time
Rinse
Apply cream and work in to face
WTG XTG ATG
Depending on how it feels I might rinse or apply more lather between each pass
Cold water rinse
Apply any lather left over. If the scent is good why not use it?
Another cold water rinse
Witch hazel
A light touch with a dry razor around side burns
Balm or aftershave
EDC EDT or EDP if smelling good is to be part of the event
Thoroughly clean everything and back in their appropriate places

Shortest shave

Wash
Cream
Shave
Balm

I did try a completely dry shave once. The results were okay but my skin was less than happy

Finally and if time allows. Write up with a right load of blab on SOTD because it keeps me entertained.

Last edited:
Fill cup/glass with cold water and place brush in it, start filling sink with cold water.

Once sink is full turn off tap (duh.) Remove brush and hold it above sink (bristles down) until it stops dripping.

Carefully move the brush over the soap without releasing any water. Lightly swirl brush on soap for 45-60 seconds (depends on soap softness) - No pressure on the brush when loading.

Splash face with a little water, move brush to face and begin lathering... Swirling on the chin area and outward paint brush strokes onto the cheeks and neck, as the lather changes from watery to thick, add more water as necessary until a glossy lather is formed. You'll know when its about right as it will 'self level' (you'll know it when you see it.)

Shave WTG, rinse, re-apply lather and then shave XTG. Rinse, check for DFS/BBS level and if required re-apply lather and do a final XTG pass (other direction this time.)

Rinse face with more cold water, dry off with a towel before applying splash or balm... Done.

...Using this method of lathering you'll have lots more lather than you need but its only soap, and the resulting lather quality is always very good. Actual shaving method varies between DE and straights, if using the latter I'll just do one hybrid WTG/XTG pass plus touch ups.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom