Welsh slate

Hi everyone thanks for having me. First question I just bought my first set of welsh slate from Aj I intend to use oil on them as heard it's better than water but not quiet sure how to store them after I start to use ie a fresh rag, bubble rap sleeve etc and also if I use oil how can I clean them and how often would I clean them thanks ?

At first I thought this was a thread about roof tiles and couldn't think where the oil came in.

Hi hum, it is a honing thing.... or is it?

Whatever it is, a most bodacious welcome to TSR

Hi, and welcome...what was the slate lapped to ?...If not 1200, then I would take it down to that and see how that goes, should be fine for water at 1200.

Hi, and welcome...what was the slate lapped to ?...If not 1200, then I would take it down to that and see how that goes, should be fine for water at 1200.
Hi bob thanks for the reply. Not sure what it's lapped top seller said lapped before sending I'll get some 1200 and lap it myself before I try them thanks

Try Silicone Carbide (sic) it lasts longer and no messy torn wet n dry. Search Utube silicone carbide lapping, loads of grit sizes and cheap from ebay, 100grams goes a long way, I use it for all my stones, usually quarter a teaspoonful is enough to flatten most stones but slate and Black arks take more and longer.

Back
Top Bottom