Water resistant black ink recommendations

Hello,

I've only been using a fountain pen for a couple of weeks, if that. Well I've been using the pen at work, which I never considered doing, the reason being is that I'm enjoying it and I prefer the look and feel of the pen and ink.
I work at a power plant, indoors and some times out in the open and the place is pretty dirty. So just wondered if any of you seasoned pen users can reccomend a water resistant ink and if possible a saturated/dark black.

Cheers
Chris

How water resistant do you want? Herbin Perle Noire is higher than average, Sailor kiwa guro is extremely water resistant, and Noodler's black is about as permanent as it gets.

Kiwa guro is my favourite.

How water resistant do you want? Herbin Perle Noire is higher than average, Sailor kiwa guro is extremely water resistant, and Noodler's black is about as permanent as it gets.

Kiwa guro is my favourite.
Cheers for that.
Permanent enough that if I'm outside in rain and the unfortunate happens, getting my note book wet, which happens. Then its not going to wash away instantly.

Here you go. I allowed the ink about 30 seconds to make sure it was fully dry and then ran the paper under the tap for 15 seconds.

Picture is a clickable thumbnail.

As you can see, the Perle Noire got a bit washed out but remains perfectly legible. The kiwa guro smeared a bit as the top layer rinsed off, then it just got blacker.

I don't currently have a pen loaded with Noodler's black, however I've tested it in the past and it just looks exactly the same as before it was wet.

Here you go. I allowed the ink about 30 seconds to make sure it was fully dry and then ran the paper under the tap for 15 seconds.

Picture is a clickable thumbnail.

As you can see, the Perle Noire got a bit washed out but remains perfectly legible. The kiwa guro smeared a bit as the top layer rinsed off, then it just got blacker.

I don't currently have a pen loaded with Noodler's black, however I've tested it in the past and it just looks exactly the same as before it was wet.

Thats brill, great to see the result and thanks.
Pretty impressive for both really! Cant beleive they held for 15 seconds.
Looking at it, either would be good enough really. I like the fact that the Sailor ink barely changed but both stand up well.

Why not go for a blue-black? That's the most traditional colour, in my opinion.

One that comes to mind is Diamine registrar's ink. Another is Pelikan Blauschwarz. My favourite is Akkerman IJzergalnoten, which has a lot in common with the Diamine ink. The Akkerman is slightly more blueish.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Why not go for a blue-black? That's the most traditional colour, in my opinion.

One that comes to mind is Diamine registrar's ink. Another is Pelikan Blauschwarz. My favourite is Akkerman IJzergalnoten, which has a lot in common with the Diamine ink. The Akkerman is slightly more blueish.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
And both are water resistant?

A word of warning. You will find, if you look at the descriptions of the various inks which are waterproof or resistant, that many have caveats about their use in fountain pens. For example, Diamine Registrars is an iron gall ink, which can play merry hell with nibs and internals. I have myself spoilt a reasonable pen or two over the years through failing to observe the requirements arising from use of some waterproof inks.

There are various recommendations around the web. The procedures for preventing pen damage are mainly concerned with washing the pen out, and not storing it filled or unwashed. The other thing is not to use them in valuable/valued/vintage pens.
This site gives a reasonable run down of the inks which they sell (no connection, I should add):-
http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/reference.php?id=50

I personally use Platinum Carbon, which is a good ink, but needs the pen to be properly used and maintained to avoid damage. I use it in a cheap adapted Jinhao pen, which I do look after, but, if I forgot to "do the needful", wouldn't be an expensive write-off.

Back
Top Bottom