Vitos shaving block

It's possible to buy 100g samples from Connaught or Gemstone Trading.

There are two variants, Green and Red, with subtle differences between the two. Green doesn't contain any glycerine, had a mild almond/talcum powder scent, the lather isn't as slick as the Red but has better cushion - the Red is the reverse, very slick but not as good cushion and has a mild amaretto scent.

I like them both a lot.

FWIW, 1kg is a huge amount of soap. Gemstone sell both in smaller chunks upto 1/2 the block and I'd recommend getting that if you like it.

Fair enough! I've noted that you like Boelis Panama also Paul. How does that compare in performance?
Boellis Panama1924 is at the top of the tree and the Vitos green is a few branches down, don't get me wrong, it's good but not as good as panama 1924 IMO :)
Edit: for the money though it's a no brainer!

Vitos is a high performer (I have the green, can't speak for the red). I must say that, imho, to get the best out of it, I have to pair it with an omega boar brush. They seems to be made for each other. Having said that, it works well with my synthetic brush and my badger. The lather I can get from Vitos I can't get from other soaps, artisan soaps included. But that's my personal experience only. Anyway, as suggested by other members, take a look at connaught shaving and get the 100/150 ml piece, just in case you may not like it. My block is 2 yrs old and still have slightly less than half (but I bought it back home in Italy for €5,50 so I couldn't say no ;) )

Boellis Panama1924 is at the top of the tree and the Vitos green is a few branches down, don't get me wrong, it's good but not as good as panama 1924 IMO :)
Edit: for the money though it's a no brainer!

Completely agree.

I want to buy a brick of Boellis but being a tart I want it in the posh ceramic coffret. Typically, everywhere has been out of stock for 6 months.

Vitos is a great croap and like Cella, Valobra and 3P, performs excellently. Bear in mind, though, that it will go rancid over time. The general suggestion to avoid this is to keep it refrigerated in an airtight container.

I think I will take a chance on one of one of these block soaps. After all, same price as 100g of some other soaps. I like the idea of having an endless supply of soap for little money! However, I'll keep a tub of my usual soap just in case I hate the block!

Well I took a risk but find it's a terrible soap for me. Tricky to lather and although it seemed ok, did not shave well. I can see that some soaps need pre shave and balm! Am used to soaps which do not leave skin like sandpaper!
Good luck to those who like this .

Well I took a risk but find it's a terrible soap for me. Tricky to lather and although it seemed ok, did not shave well. I can see that some soaps need pre shave and balm! Am used to soaps which do not leave skin like sandpaper!
Good luck to those who like this .

Sorry to hear that. Weird though as I find it the easiest soap to lather. You may want to try to change the ratio of soap/water. Or, if you tried, as many seems to do, to just take a dollop and smash it in the bowl, try to just press a chunk of soap into an empty bowl (I reuse old Proraso and TOBS tubs for this because they have a lid) and lather from there as you would do with any soap you buy. Also, as I've said in other threads where Vitos was mentioned, try with a boar brush if you have one.

The lather looks good, but shave is poor, not closed and tugs in places. I'd love to make it work for me.
Shaved today with a good soap and the difference was staggering!

Back
Top Bottom