Vintage UK blades - best combo?

Hi chaps

I've recently discovered my best ever combination, an aluminum handled Gillette Tech with vintage UK Wilkinson Sword blades.

I don't find the blades that sharp because they don't sweep as effortlessly through stubble on the first pass as some other decent blades, but where they excel is that I can really buff my face (very smoothly and comfortably) and get BBS with no irritation. Other blades just start scraping more skin off and remove less stubble weirdly!

I find the blades really superb compared to modern offerings, which has spurned my interest in other vintage UK made blades. I like the thought of using vintage products made in my country too, there is just something about it :) A romantic notion perhaps.

Other UK blades I've found are Gillette Super Silver, Personna and Perma-Sharp, not got on to testing these yet. I was going to do a UK blade shootout, but it might take me a while. Can anyone suggest any other decent UK made blades?

Anyone else like me who mainly just uses vintage blades?

Attachments

• IMAG1979_1.jpg
    IMAG1979_1.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 23
The vintage Wilkinson Sword light brigade de blades are excellent, I often use Gillette Super Blue blades, mostly in the shake sharp razor. Routinely get 30+ shaves from one blade. The Personna 74's are another excellent vintage blade.

Edit: as much as I like vintage blades, I mostly use modern blades.

As above Personna 74s seem to work in any razor from my R41 to my Hone type 15, getting hold of them is a different matter however, not easy to find a expensive when you do but on the plus side they can last for 30 shaves!! :) P. Ihave one unused blade and one with around 15 uses out of it. :confused:
I have recently used a NOS Gillette Rubie blade, made in London and it was very good indeed and the Lodz Polsiver blades from Poland are top draw and work with any razor that I have tied them in.
Sorry all, just seen the OPs title and it clearly says vintage UK blades, Doh. P.

Last edited:
Try some of the current made in Russia Gillette blades as they work better IMO and go easy on buffing if at all.

Vintage blades are finite and expensive as Hell. Some were very good, but metallurgy and coatings have since leapt ahead light years. I had an extensive vintage blade assortment and have since sold off almost all of them when I discovered I was using confirmation bias and that modern DE blades are better. Technique, prep and a good soap/cream are more important overall IMO.

I have the same Tech, Sportsman edition i believe, I use exclusively Feather blades in all my DE razors, in fact i think you sold me a load :) I find this makes a mild but effective shaver. I'd be interested in trying some vintage blades but to be honest the only place i've seen them for sale is on ebay and frankly it just seems to be a bit risky buying something which could be rusty and un-usable when you get them open.

Try some of the current made in Russia Gillette blades as they work better IMO and go easy on buffing if at all.

Vintage blades are finite and expensive as Hell. Some were very good, but metallurgy and coatings have since leapt ahead light years. I had an extensive vintage blade assortment and have since sold off almost all of them when I discovered I was using confirmation bias and that modern DE blades are better. Technique, prep and a good soap/cream are more important overall IMO.
I agree to a point, most modern DE blades are better than most of the vintage blades but there a excptionall vintage blades and some poor modern DE blades. P.

I have the same Tech, Sportsman edition i believe, I use exclusively Feather blades in all my DE razors, in fact i think you sold me a load :) I find this makes a mild but effective shaver. I'd be interested in trying some vintage blades but to be honest the only place i've seen them for sale is on ebay and frankly it just seems to be a bit risky buying something which could be rusty and un-usable when you get them open.
That's always a risk with any NOS blades, they could be good or totally unusable as I've found out to my cost when tracking down and buying some NOS Stropping blades :( P.

I agree to a point, most modern DE blades are better than most of the vintage blades but there a excptionall vintage blades and some poor modern DE blades. P.

Even the worst modern Gillette, Sputnik, is still a good blade. All bets are off on non-Gillette Third World blades, e.g., Lord, Super-Max, etc.

Even the worst modern Gillette, Sputnik, is still a good blade. All bets are off on non-Gillette Third World blades, e.g., Lord, Super-Max, etc.
Yes I'm sorry I was thinking you was talking about non Gillette blades as well because as we know there are some poor modern blades that would be out performed by the best of the vintage blades. Your point stands P.

After testing some vintage hard to find and expensive blades: Nah! hard to get and expensive yes, but resulting shave did not blow me away as I had hoped (I am cheap and price did hurt).

I only go by what the blade feels like when I use my daily driver.

I have few boxes of Scottish Perma Sharp which feels absolutely perfect on my face.

I didn't aquire more as I noticed that Voshkod and GSB feels exactlythe same.
Longevity is another ball game althgether, vintage Perma Sharps last 15 shaves on average while the modern Gillette Wilkinson's from India/China can last like 10 days.

One I came across is Eversharp Super Stainless, great long lasting blades. The only problem is I have only ever seen the one listing. I have various Wilkies, Personna, Bleue's, and a load of Polsilvers that I sometimes use..........not used the Bleues or Polsilvers lately.
I still use modern blades depending on what razor I am using, but like most I get less shaves out of most modern blades.
@Sabre I had a number of Jewel Blades and I think they are made of balsa wood as the shave is shocking.......well at least the ones I have/had were...:oops:

Back
Top Bottom