Vintage suggestions

Hi,

I'm thinking about picking up a cheap vintage razor on eBay, sub £20 if possible. My regular driver is the Gamechanger 0.84 & Rockwell 6 on a 4 plate. I'm open to suggestions, condition should be fairly good but I'm not concerned about being boxed etc, more interested in something unusual that performs. Any ideas?

Thanks.

There's a 40s Superspeed that looks to still
be for sale here for £20 delivered:

Gillette Tech (England, fat handle, "flat bottom")
Gillette NEW (England, RFB)
Gillette NEW (USA, short comb)
Gillette Rocket HD (England, TTO)
Gillette Flare Tip Rocket (England, TTO)
Schick Krona (USA, TTO)
Wilkinson Sword "Sticky" (England, TTO)

With a bit of patience any of those can be netted on eBay for under £20.

@Sherbet66 - Another vote for the 1912 - I would also suggest a Schick injector - these razors are commonly available cheaply - the blades are still produced - and - most importantly - both designs are capable of delivering a superb shave. I.

edit - for Schick razors - have a look at this -

Last edited:
I'm down to a rotation of three razors either one of which would be a great daily driver for you:

• Gillette Rocket HD - Mine is user grade (most of the plating missing from the bottom). This is a great way to get a razor that would ordinarily cost more - look for ones that have non functional flaws that would put off a collector. Also it's got a nick on the safety bar that I didn't notice until after I bought it (it's been dropped). This has the odd effect of making one side more aggressive than the other, which I use to my advantage.
  • Gillette NEW short comb - You can find these on eBay, also OLDs, usually just advertised as "Gillette vintage safety razor". Mine was replated, so a bit spendier.
  • Ever Ready 1912 - Plentiful and cheap (at least they were the last time I looked). Get the blades from Connaught.
I use these pretty much equally. I don't even know why I would buy a modern razor.

Gillette Tech (England, fat handle, "flat bottom")
Gillette NEW (England, RFB)
Gillette NEW (USA, short comb)
Gillette Rocket HD (England, TTO)
Gillette Flare Tip Rocket (England, TTO)
Schick Krona (USA, TTO)
Wilkinson Sword "Sticky" (England, TTO)

With a bit of patience any of those can be netted on eBay for under £20.
You don't need to be that specific IMO.

Any pre-'60's Gillette Tech.
Any Gillette New.
Any Gillette Flare tip.

All great shavers.

...agreed they are all great shavers, but the bullet tip, I found a terrific daily shaver, more refined than the other micromatics... mild but efficient and the build quality is outstanding; if only they made razors of this quality today!
Imagine what a currently manufactured Micromatic would cost, and I don't mean zinc die cast crap.

Back
Top Bottom