Vintage SE (ever ready/gem etc)

Where is a good online resource for I.D these types of razors ?

I have one already (GEM 1912) am considering getting some more but don't have a clue what to get.

Need info in looks/I.D & shaving characteristics.

Thanks

I think they are all much of the same thing, the only thing seperating them may be the box/tin it comes in and the condition of the razors, I have one and it is a curio for me...not a shaver, also have a couple of Rolls, and the Gillette in my avatar.

I thought examples like "shovelhead" & "micromatic....?" Were meant to shave differently but I am not sure.

Thanks for the replies though. I guess if they are the same I will just stick with the one.

They are not all the same thing. I prefer the original handles on my razors, they've served generations of shavers just fine, no need to change now.

Get a Shovelhead and a G-bar, also known as a 1924 and the Heavy Flat Top, and stick with the GEM Personna SS blades.

Not sure if this will help.
View attachment 43420
PS how do you ID a 1914 version?

The 1914s can be identified in a couple of ways. At either side of the cap ‘LIFT HERE' can be found etched. On the rear, ‘Ever Ready' is etched. Under this (on my one, anyway) are the patent details: ‘Patented March 24/14' and under this ‘Made in USA'.

image.jpg

You can just make out the etching at the sides of the cap. It is somewhat faint from years of use.

5F7B901B-CC34-434F-BA28-3F54EF8C22DF.jpeg

The underside...

They are not all the same thing. I prefer the original handles on my razors, they've served generations of shavers just fine, no need to change now.

Get a Shovelhead and a G-bar, also known as a 1924 and the Heavy Flat Top, and stick with the GEM Personna SS blades.

If these shave differently the names give me something to search for.

Thanks

I guess I do have another question.

What are the names of the British made equivalents of these Gem razors?

As I am UK based they may be easier to source.

Thanks

Have a look on Ebay or Etsy. You can get American and English Ever Ready Razors. A couple have gone for about a tenner recently (yours truly landed a 1924 for a tenner last week).

There are others who know much more than me about the history of these things; so I apologise in advance for any inaccuracies in the following.

Kampfe/Star were making safety razors at the end of the nineteenth century. An employee left and formed the Gem company. So you had lovely razors like the Damaskeene. That same employee then departed Gem and formed Ever Ready. The heads of both these family of razors were very similar. Differences lay in the configuration of the cap: front-hinged, rear hinged, lift, or flip.

Ever Ready and Gem were bought over by the American Safety Razor Company; and their name can be found on the razors too.

I don't know if there are English made Gems (there may well be); but Ever Ready 1912s that are British Made can be found; as above.

Back
Top Bottom