Utter Newbie - open to advice

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jay and from England.

I have been using this forum to do some research and it is pretty awesome! I have used it to learn lots and im still learning, yet to purchase my first straight razor!

I appreciate blades/metal work and often watch Forged In Fire wishing i had the time and money to do something similar! I sharpen my own kitchen knives with a basic whetstone as i enjoy cooking.

I have always enjoyed a ‘cut throat' shave but never done it myself!

Essentially, i am looking to go second hand with a purchase at some point. Partly based on money, but mostly on the fact i want to be able to maintain and look after a straight razor which will take some practice. Hemce why I dont want to ruin a new exoensive one, but also I like the idea of a ‘vintage' one.

Thanks for letting me in, I look forward to chatting to you all.

Cheers
Jay

Hello & welcome to TSR.
TBH vintage straight razors of early 20th century are the best you will find, manufacturing processes were at their zenith.
You can't go wrong with 6/8 full or half hollow from that period, Solingen, Thiers or Sheffield, USA are plentiful & are all great

Last edited:
Hello & welcome to TSR.
TBH vintage straight razors of early 20th century are the best you will find, manufacturing processes were at their zenith.
You can't go wrong with 6/8 full or half hollow from that period, Solingen, Thiers or Sheffield, USA are plentiful & are all great

The blog on the welcome forum has really helped. I'm scouring ebay daily for a little gem I can bring back to life and start shaving properly

Back
Top Bottom