Using an SE

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
LeJog 2022 Finisher
I will be home in a week or so and awaiting my return is a Hawk V2.

Before I go diving in and probably 'wood planning my face is there anything different I should know is different to using a DE?

I read about hand stropping etc and juat wonder what else

Thanks in advance

Choose your blade wisely, don't use pressure. You will be surprised how much wider the razor is and the area it covers with every stroke. I don't hand stroke the blades, but you can do it and see if there is a difference. Prolines P-30 are what people gravitate towards lately and my blade of choice too for the Hawk.

Yep, all this. One more thing though. Enjoy. They are nice. Lovely shave. particular with a proline.

I was told to treat it more like a straight and opt for a shallower angle against your face. Worked sublimely for me with a number of SE, including the Hawk V1. A fantastic razor.

A straight has no guard to protect and guide you, the Hawk does, it's also far less aggressive. I only have the V1 and I must say if the V2 is as efficient as the V1, for me and YMMV, I would consider it a bit less than mid-aggressive. Nowhere near as aggressive as the V2 Claymore or the Asylum RX.

A straight has no guard to protect and guide you, the Hawk does, it's also far less aggressive. I only have the V1 and I must say if the V2 is as efficient as the V1, for me and YMMV, I would consider it a bit less than mid-aggressive. Nowhere near as aggressive as the V2 Claymore or the Asylum RX.
Absolutely, the take home is that a shallower angle seemed to work better for me. Same translated to the ES Claymore V2 when I had one. I'd say aggressiveness of straights depends on the user's preferred angle, too, as well as grind etc.
I had the V1 and that was great with a feather professional. Very light pressure = sublime shaves every time.

Thanks for your input chaps and most appreciated.

It sounds as if this going to be a bit of a learning curve (in much the same way as my return to DE). I guess I will take a cautious route, take on board your hints and be guided by own feeling of what is good and what is not.

Look forward to this new experience immensely

Thanks again

I have considered SE razors, but am wary that the blades wiļ be harsh. De blade, feather is awful for me. Are any blades as good in terms of comfort as my beloved Polsilver si for instance.

I find Feathers very good but behave differently in different razors. If I have any gripe I find them a little inconsistent in quality. The Polsilver Lodz is by far my do it all blade.

I am rather hoping to find there is no harshness in SE blades. In this case I bought some Kai Captain as the chap I spoke to when I bought the Hawk gave them his recommendation. Plus they only stocked Kai and Feather. But again like DE blades this is one area I will need to explore.

I have considered SE razors, but am wary that the blades wiļ be harsh. De blade, feather is awful for me. Are any blades as good in terms of comfort as my beloved Polsilver si for instance.

Oh yes. Some of the blades are excellent and I dont think I would describe any of them as harsh. My personal favourites are the Proline B20 and P30. The 20's are for injectors and the 30's are for AC. Beautiful smooth shaves.

Oh yes. Some of the blades are excellent and I dont think I would describe any of them as harsh. My personal favourites are the Proline B20 and P30. The 20's are for injectors and the 30's are for AC. Beautiful smooth shaves.

Just what I wanted to hear. I understand they are actually kinder due to them being more rigid.

Back
Top Bottom