TV on the blink.

The old 28" Sony Trinitron CRT is finally giving up the ghost after 15 years but from what I have seen watching a quality tube in standard definition still produces a much better picture than watching standard definition on a flat screen. What say ye, the oik's want a flat screen but what is the point if you are not going to hang it on a wall or invest in HD. Is your experience different or am I misquided or just a tight git?

Things are changing fast. There was once a rule of thumb about screen size and distance. New models are popping up ever more frequently. And prices have fallen. I have a 42 inch Panasonic in my study of just 11x9. Mainly sport and music DVDs through a home cinema system. Just standard definition. I'm already paying Sky too much. There are of course Fee-view Hi Def sets too.
I love the large screen - for sport, operas, films etc. it's excellent.
I stuck to a 40 inch Sony in my lounge. I now wish I'd gone for a 46 inch Panasonic. Not now keen on Sony colours.

If I'm still here in 2012 I'll probably get a 50 inch hi def and bite the bullet.

Go and have a good look round and give yourself a treat. There are many great options available now.

I have a 37" Phillips on a stand and i have mine plugged into my surround sound and there nothing better when you are watching on a large screen TV even thou a 37" is not that big compared with some :)

when me and the wife got our first house together most of the furniture, telly etc was second hand me downs from my folks.
new fridge, freezer ,washing machine and bed but everything else we got was stuff to get us started.
we've still got the telly the old dear gave us, 23"(ish) tube job.

aye, sounds like a portable compared to todays standards :lol:

for some reason the wife wants a new flat screen LCD thingy-ma-jig :roll:
point is there's nowt wrang wi yan we've got.
i'll get a new one when this one dies.

but out of interest i've had a browse in the shops at these new fangled things and asked mates about them and have learned this.

they reckon on the average planned life span of a tube telly to be 7yrs (never known one not to do double that) and a plasma is the same, however they say an LCD should last 20.
some people will tell you that plasma's need re-filling with gas every so often = BOLLOCKS
you need to be sitting fairly square on to one of the new type (can't remember which)

the biggest thing for me, and it's logical when you think about it, is i can't get my head round the rectangle screens :?

i know it's just me and the human field of vision dictates that that's best but as everyone i know tells me i'm old fashioned and stuck in the past i like my ma's 20yr old Panasonic.

plus an old style new tube telly, even a big screen one, can be had for buttons ;)

these new ones use a shed load more 'lectric to run them an aw

Good point, I suppose a large plasma screen is really a big heater.
I'm not particularly motivated by size especially as the TV room is fairly modest and I also prefer to look naturally down at a screen which is less stressful so that really excludes hanging it up on a wall.

Fido makes a fair point about Freeview HD boxes though, they are becoming more prevalent, I did see a bit of "Life" on the BBC and it did occur to me at the time that it would have been really beautiful in HD.

With TV's its worth while doing a little bit of future proofing as npo one really wants to replace these things till they go bang.

LCD tvs have come on a long way, they have wide viewing angles so you dont need to sit dead on 170 degree angle is the norm and any more than that and you are sitting side on to the telly. The electrical usage is a lot less on modern LCD tvs than the old CRT based units, and you can get energy saving rated ones as well know.

Features to look for so you dont have to go buy a new set next week:

2 or more HDMI slots - Digital Freeview is only round the corner and freeview built in tellies will still need a new Set Top Box to take advantage of the free HD + DVD Blue ray games console PC Mobile phone etc.

Built in Freeview tuner - analogue is going in 2 years might as well get that out the way now. saves on another set top box.

Speakers on the side of the telly not underneath. Stereo and sudo virtual is recreatead better when the speakers are set apart from each other.

Contrast ratio - simple rule of thumb bigger is better.

Go and look, picture style and quality varies between sets and is a personal likeness, some people prefer sharpeness over cmoothness etc its worth watching these screens in action.

Millay said:
Built in Freeview tuner - analogue is going in 2 years might as well get that out the way now. saves on another set top box.

Been gone 12 months already here :D (Actually we never went 'analogue' in this house at all).

I bought an LG LCD with in-built FreeSatHD (and FreeView as an incidental) - and it's the donkeys bollocks (and what I saved by buying it through a friend who works at John Lewis - where it was already the cheapest) bought the "matching" upscaling DVD player :)

Back
Top Bottom