Shave Oil

• I use shave oil

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • I think it is cheating

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is the question....

I have used shave oil on and off for a while and really like the cushioning it gives (especially as I am still learning) and smooth results.

But I have always felt it was sort of "cheating" compared to shaves without oil.

What are peoples feelings on the use of oil?

Do you think it harms razors?

Is it cheating?

It's certainly not cheating, if you really like it, you should use it, but I'm not sure it contributes a massive amount.
I quite like it once in a while, when I'm pampering and when I have time to clean the sink, otherwise I go without, I think I've had my bottle of T+H oil for about 18 months and it's ony half used. It's certainly a nice smell, and I like the slip and the softening effect on long stubble which I may or may not be imagining. Scientific study in this area is rare!

Lots of guys don't like the mess. A few complain that it ruins lather, though I think if it's doing that you're undoubtedly using too much.

Edit just to add: It won't ruin or damage razors, they'll just need a clean more often.

I use oil 3 out of 5 shaves and I suppose I consider it like "stabilisers" on a bike. I do enjoy using it and as you say it is a little bit of luxury.

had a "simple" one a few years back which was a freebie. it didn't really do anything for me to be honest and is not something i bother with.

if you find it helps go for it. just requires a little extra cleaning

I've not tried any oil, so I don't know how it would work for me. If it works for you, then go ahead and use it. It's not a question of cheating at all.

Ian

I used some when I was using my sensor, it did make the shave smoother, but didn't make enough difference to make me buy more.

It also caused a build up on the razor.

I used oil once and i found it was useless and didn't like the feeling during and after the shave, but sometimes i use proraso pre-post cream, that works very good.
Also I used the superdrugs pre shave cologne, i didn't felt any difference at all.

It's effectiveness must be compromised when you start lathering by brush over the top as well as making a hell of a mess but
I can see why it might improve things for gel users or just used neat, as long as you soften the beard before application it's still an effective lubricant.

My only experience of oil was using a freebie I got when I bought a razor. Tried it for three shaves, I think it did help the 'slip' but the mess it made was enough to put me off. Also I had to do a deep clean of my brush.

As said in above replies, if it suits you, use it and enjoy. That's what this shaving lark is all about.

Back
Top Bottom