Time

How long does it take you to shave?
When I started this hobby in Jan this year it took about an hour to shower and shave, much to the consternation of my family, we only have one bathroom... nice to get my own back on the girls for once! ;)
Now I can nip in for a shave and be done in ten mins flat, not that I make a conscious effort to speed up as I enjoy the ritual. I think I've just become more confident and stopped fannying about.
On hols this summer I even got shaved in the shower with no mirror and gave myself a 4/5 for the effort. Pretty good going, if I'd tried that in January I'd have been a bloody mess!

hunnymonster said:
ChrisC said:
How long does it take you to shave?

About 10 minutes all told.

ChrisC said:
I think I've just become more confident and stopped fannying about.

I don't think I ever fannyed around - I can't see how you can drag it out to more than 20 minutes even doing a 4 pass shave and making the soap (not just the lather) as part of the ritual.

The fannying about involved hot towels and such like and endless attempts to get the last bits under the neck that I've learned to ignore because nothing is going to shift them!

Hi all
I was about an hour at the beginning. Bought my Futur in Florida and shaved in the shower which had one of those huge magnified,self- lit mirrors specifically for shower shaving. The mirror is "plumbed in" to the shower and there is a trickle of water down the back to stop it steaming up. It was great apart from the mirror showed every single bristle you had missed, also I was shit scared, brethern remember some of our younger members haven't really scraped naked steel across their fizzogs, it is scary. A generation or more have used disposable, plastic constructions, and to an extent their is no sensory feedback (if that doesn't sound too pretentious) With the Futur I could hear the bristles being cut, and yes, it was thrilling. Felt like I was doing something properly, dare I say it, Manly!!! Anyhow, daily shave, about 10-15mins. Weekend, going out, about 20 mins.
Don't rush yourself, indulge yourself.

Regards

I reckon my first few attempts took me half an hour, what with learning how to lather and then the actual shave which was slow. I too had a Futur which was probably a bad choice for starting out with. So much bulkier and heavier than what I was used to, and even quite aggressive on the lower settings - well I was hardly going to start out on '1' was I?!

I also used a bowl to lather in and got in to all sorts of muddles with the damn thing. Now I face lather which is quicker, plus you can reheat the lather for each pass with a drop of hot water.

Anyway, I can have a decent shave with a hot flanel prep in around 10 minutes. Less if the prep is my morning shower.

:shave

I shave in less than 2 minutes - and that includes all 'prep' and a Mach3 head-shave.

With the Feather AC or straight razor it still never takes me more than 5 minutes.

I much prefer late night shaves when the house is quiet and no time constraints...because I have taken so long I'm missing out when returning to the bedroom, I just make sure I put an awakening amount of aftershave on.

Definitely no post-coital cigarette though.

To answer your'e question I take about 3 minutes...

One minute of prep, one minute of lathering and one minute of short strokes for a quick finish.

I have never timed myself but I am hoping it is around the 5 min mark, though I stretch it out a bit (the shave that is) at weekends or when preparing for a night out.

I think I was about the same in it took me an hour at first but now 5-10 mins and longer at the weekend. I believe all you need to do is learn to do something well and speed will come on its own, it will take as long as it takes.

When I was on holiday I was having a lie in then realised I had got my days mixed up and was to supposed to catch a bus, I found if pushed I can do a quick two pass shave and shower in five minutes flat but it is my preference to take my time.

Shaving is my period of sanctuary every day where I think of nothing else but shaving and I enjoy that single mindedness. For me it is like a daily meditation that sets me up for the day ahead and thankfully we have two bathrooms so I have a shave den, which basically is a cupboard that holds shave stash no1 (the stuff in regular use) and has a well lit mirror and sink.

I used to shave with a multi head razor in the shower and it took 15min from going into the bathroom to walking out the door to the pub now it takes me 25min but I now shave with a straight in front of the mirror and make some lather so adding 10min onto the time isnt bad also making sure the razor is clean and dry.

5-10 mins on a week day, 20 mins on the weekend. I have a wireless display for my electric toothbrush which has a clock on it :geek: which actually annoys me as I can see it from the shower and when I am shaving which makes me feel rushed as i know if I am going to be late for work min by min.

C

My wife and I both work the same shifts so both have the same early starts. Before I discovered DE I used to use whatever was the cheapest disposable in the shower. Since my awakening I rarely shave in the shower prefering to use that as my prep and shave at the sink. This caused some delays to start with as we both have to get ready at silly o'clock. I quickly discovered shaving the night before wasn't really an option as by 10 o'clock it looked like I hadn't bothered and being clean shaven is kind of important as I'm in the Army. The solution was easy, I get up first and shower, then my gorgeous wife has a shower while I shave at the sink. I get a proper shave and it saves a bit of time but the downside (if you can really call it that ;) ) is that the view is very distracting :D

Back
Top Bottom