Time for the classic? What to look for?

MJI

Hey everyone,

I've been taking some tentative steps in too the coffee world, with an aeropress and porlex tall grinder. Getting some nice tasting cups, especially fresh ground in the French press.

I was considering a machine but stuck with the aeropress and French for now just to test if I wanted to go further. I can't shake getting a machine so I've been reading through the back posts to find as much info as I can.

Now fate has it that I just came into some free money! Enough for a second hand or maybe new machine.

If I was to go second hand, what things should I be aware or and check out before buying?

Thanks for any tips folks!

Refurbs sometimes come up on ebay or amazon and are good value. Might be worth giving these guys a call and see what they have :
http://www.gaggia-service.co.uk/coffee_machines_espresso.htm

I got an Amazon refurbished jobby and it quit working first time I used it. I'm sure others work just fine and to be fair Amazon refunded me with no hassles. Second hand from coffee forums I would guess is the way to go, plus you could pick one up with modifications already made which would be a bonus.

Some Amazon Warehouse machines are apparently just damaged packaging or ex-display so can be a good deal at a little over £100.

For secondhand, people say the older machines are better than the ones since the Phillips takeover, though I don't remember why.

If you can afford it, a Silvia is a better machine. Unfortunately the 2nd hand prices are often daft, and unscrupulous vendors sometimes dress up V2s as V3s to hide the age.

Back
Top Bottom