The Travel Shaving Thread

Go away for a couple of days in a week or so and I'm debating on what razor to take. I've 2 Signature Travel soaps that will go with me but I'm still undecided on the rest of the kit so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Just an ordinary matchbox.

matchbox.png

Or is it...

blade-drawer.png

There seems to be something in there...

blade-drawer-2.png

A razor blade!

Something strange is going on here. Better investigate.

whats-in-the-box.png

Is that a razor... in a matchbox..?! Yes it is.

Merkur 985C pieces.png

The Merkur 985C with two-piece handle.

"That's all very well" they said. "But what are you going to do about soap?" they said. "Where are you going to get a mini shave stick to go with your mini shave kit?"

I suppose I could just stuff some Arko in a lipstick container.

Arko-lipstick-small2.png

Et voila: the smallest shave kit in the world.

kit-complete.png

The whole kit weighs about 54g.

I've never tried hand-lathering Arko but I bet it works just fine.

Or you could maybe add a Muhle travel brush.

Go away for a couple of days in a week or so and I'm debating on what razor to take. I've 2 Signature Travel soaps that will go with me but I'm still undecided on the rest of the kit so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

If it's soft enough to squeeze in a lipstick container, take as many as you want :)

You'd maybe get about 10 shaves out of one mini-stick. Certainly 6.

All my travel kit is geared to flying and having it in my carry-on:

Brush = AP Shave Co SynBad. I like a synthetic brush for travel because it dries very quickly. At home I use a badger or a boar.

Shaving soap = Tabac stick or Harris Lavender Stick

Razor = Gillette Sensor with cartridges

Aftershave = 50 ml bottle into which I decant what I want.

Other = styptic pencil, comb, brush, etc

i carry all this in a Diane's & Hathaway Military Wet Pack. All my liquids, gels and creams are carried in the prescribed clear plastic bag for carry-on air travel.

Magic Sponge in a ziploc bag.

Why ? ... because with 1 swipe you can go round a hotel washbowl and get ALL the hair clippings and ALL the soap / lather residue and its like you were never there, in a few seconds

Rinse the sponge under a tap and they are all gone down the sink - squeeze the magic sponge and its virtually dry - pop it back in the ziploc bag

It matters to me.

I like a synthetic brush for travel because it dries very quickly. At home I use a badger or a boar.

Good point! Much easier to take care of.

@Zorro

One day, when you stand before the pearly gates and things could go either way, a hotel maid will be there to speak up for you.

@Rohleder

I salute your cunning. The talent of improvisation is the mark of an experienced travel shaver.

lord tech or re mei for the razor both on t,bay for less than a £5, omega s brush online for around £6 . soap ,blades & post shave i buy local ..... some times you find a winner sometimes you do,nt! .. that,s where the fun is

Magic Sponge in a ziploc bag.

Why ? ... because with 1 swipe you can go round a hotel washbowl and get ALL the hair clippings and ALL the soap / lather residue and its like you were never there, in a few seconds

Rinse the sponge under a tap and they are all gone down the sink - squeeze the magic sponge and its virtually dry - pop it back in the ziploc bag

It matters to me.

Is that before or after your shave? :LOL:

Is that before or after your shave? :LOL:
Haha ... its after (altho i have seen hotels where the sink looks a bit iffy b4 u start using it...). There is a practical consideration here too, in that you might well want to use the sink after shaving and before the next time the cleaning staff visit your room.

Essentially - magic sponges make very fast work of cleaning all shaving detritus from a wash basin.

Apropos travel shaving equipment, its usually a Gillette Fusion, altho i have taken DE + Gillette Fusion before now.

I would be slightly unhappy about relying on a DE for shaving on the road, as my line of business means i might be called to a client-facing situation at relatively short notice, so cart razors + battery elecs are what i have always relied on in the work environment.

Back
Top Bottom