The Real Case for Wet Shaving

For those of you that have read the article by Miachael Eaton in "Against the Grain"

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/against-the-grain-v1e1/7409479">http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/agai ... e1/7409479</a><!-- m -->

The premise of the article is that multibladed cartridges don't work because the blades are set at the same angle. I thought that the latest Gillette multibladed cartridges have blades that are set at different angles?

Coupled with the theory of "yank and shank" with a blunt edge they convenently call "hysterisis" its the best a man can get...for ingrowns.

antdad said:
The premise of the article is that multibladed cartridges don't work because the blades are set at the same angle. I thought that the latest Gillette multibladed cartridges have blades that are set at different angles?

I haven't had a chance to check the article yet but i'm fairly sure all multiblade razors have the blades set at the same angle. I'm not sure if it's even possible to have different angles within the same head - if they're increasingly shallow the blades won't do anything, if they're increasingly horizontal you'll just dig into your face. The only way you could stagger the angle and be effective would be to have the blades out of alignment with each other, like on a machining lathe or something. If they did this in a cartridge, it'd be so expensive and the head would be so big nobody would bother, and Gillette couldn't claim to have their famous "shaving surface" that they're so chuffed about. I think that unlike previous multiblades, the Fusion works on the principle that by cramming five aligned blades very closely together creates a consistent surface of blades, all set at the optimum angle of cutting, which is about 30 degrees, rather than something like the Mach 3, which is more about pulling/cutting/cutting again.

I am a very, very boring man.

jhclare said:
I am a very, very boring man.

That last line really had me laughing out loud! :D

Spending time on forums discussing the minutiae of wet shaving.... are we only a hair away from being train spotters? :eek:

I believe the collective noun (as coined by antdad) is "showercaps", Trainspotters are collectively known as "anaracks" compter guys are "geeks" we are "shower caps"

Back
Top Bottom